Question Should i apply pressure on cpu cooler? (AIGO DARKFLASH SHADOW)

May 28, 2019
okay so this is my first pc build, and i was installing cpu. it went okay until i put on the cpu cooler. Its AIGO DARKFLASH SHADOW CPU Cooler. i tried to mount it but it seems it wont mounted well, i had to apply pressure (it was firm) to mount it. the screw wasn't all the way down because i thought it was super firm already. the questions are, is it really hard to install cpu cooler? should i apply pressure to install the CPU Cooler? will i damage the cpu if i put too much pressure in it? please help, im in the middle of a build here. thankyou so much.

I agree that some CPU coolers are a real pain to install.
Sometimes I have actually used longer screws because I thought the screws it came with were too short.

The bottom line here is you don't want to damage anything.

Most of the time....I have a pretty good idea whether or not I'm going to damage something. ...so if I find myself wanting to "push harder" at that point....I stop.....and think.....what is a better way.

As far as pressure on the CPU.....yes you can put SOME pressure on it....but don't go crazy.

Most likely I think you would damage the motherboard before the CPU....but that doesn't matter much. You don't want to damage anything.

SO what I'm saying is USE COMMON SENSE.

If you think you are going to damage something....you probably are.....so stop and figure out a better way.

May 28, 2019
I agree that some CPU coolers are a real pain to install.
Sometimes I have actually used longer screws because I thought the screws it came with were too short.

The bottom line here is you don't want to damage anything.

Most of the time....I have a pretty good idea whether or not I'm going to damage something. ...so if I find myself wanting to "push harder" at that point....I stop.....and think.....what is a better way.

As far as pressure on the CPU.....yes you can put SOME pressure on it....but don't go crazy.

Most likely I think you would damage the motherboard before the CPU....but that doesn't matter much. You don't want to damage anything.

SO what I'm saying is USE COMMON SENSE.

If you think you are going to damage something....you probably are.....so stop and figure out a better way.

thankyou so much. im actually in the middle of a build rn, i think the fan really needs a pressure. well, we'll see in the installation then. im using my common sense but i dont think i damage anything. anyway... what r the signs of cpu being pressured too much with the cpu cooler? thankyou.

"what r the signs of cpu being pressured too much with the cpu cooler? "
I think the motherboard would probably take damage before the CPU would (if the cooler were too tight)....although I don't experiment with these things.

Although...I think CPUs are pretty tough (except for the pins).

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
ive experienced issues with RAM not working correct if the cooler was too tight, in my instance my Bios was only reading half the RAM and only as single channel. mind you it was with a different cooler but I'm sure the pressure from cooler was what caused issue, because once I loosened the screws on the cooler, the Bios showed all the RAM. so maybe make sure in bios that everything shows up as normal

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Also I find there is often one side that seems to require more pressure to get the screws started, I tend to let the cooler sit on the CPU with the bracket loose, then I start 1 screw slightly, then go to opposite corner, start that screw slightly, then do same on rest, slowly tighten all them down in that star pattern , just mentioning this where you say its your first build. so if you know this already I apologize =)