[SOLVED] Should i be keeping my ram at 3600Mhz?

Dec 14, 2021
I recently got new components for a pc and I successfully assembled it. I have a ryzen 7 3700x and a msi b450 pro max with 3600mhz corsair vengeance ram. I was using the pc normally until my friend mentioned that unless i turn xmp on in bios my ram wont run at full speed. I was upset to find the the 3600mhz ram that i bought was only running at 2666mhz. I turned xmp on and rebooted to find that my pc doesn't start, i reset my bios and tried again to no success. It turns out i had to manually increase the voltage to get it to work. It is currently at 1.43v and it seems to run fine but i am concerned that i could be damaging parts. Should i reduce the voltage and the speed of the ram or should i keep it as it is right now. i also forgot to mention that i increased my voltage as little as possible for it to just work at the speed my ram is running at.

Solution
I kept reducing voltage till I hit 1.36 which meant I couldn't boot my pc again. I reset bios and put it back on 1.37 and it seems to work just fine.
PC that don't boot up after you change memory settings is most likely memory training issue... There is probably motherboard one as culprit. Sometimes updading BIOS can enchance memory overclock potential and stuff.
And when you PC have problems to even train memory at some voltage, increasing is just a notch will probably not make it completely stable... Maybe you should run some extensive memory tests. Because even if for benchmarks status of "barely trained" will work, it is FAR from being enough for daily driving. You want to daily drive stable system with stable RAM... and not...
Dec 14, 2021
Is the RAM in slots A2 & B2?

Increasing the voltage of the RAM seems to have different opinions. I’ve seen some say don’t go over the rated voltage for the stick, but then others say up to 1.45v or even 1.5v is ok.

Yea the ram is in slot A2 and B2 since it told me that those slots are the best place for optimisation every time i booted the pc.

Dec 14, 2021
Keep reducing the voltage until it starts crashing again, then bring it back up a notch. Less is better for the endurance of the controller and memory.

I kept reducing voltage till I hit 1.36 which meant I couldn't boot my pc again. I reset bios and put it back on 1.37 and it seems to work just fine. Idk how it worked when 1.4v didn't work when I first started enabling xmp but now I think I can expect a long life from my ram. Thank you

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
I kept reducing voltage till I hit 1.36 which meant I couldn't boot my pc again. I reset bios and put it back on 1.37 and it seems to work just fine.
PC that don't boot up after you change memory settings is most likely memory training issue... There is probably motherboard one as culprit. Sometimes updading BIOS can enchance memory overclock potential and stuff.
And when you PC have problems to even train memory at some voltage, increasing is just a notch will probably not make it completely stable... Maybe you should run some extensive memory tests. Because even if for benchmarks status of "barely trained" will work, it is FAR from being enough for daily driving. You want to daily drive stable system with stable RAM... and not just some barelly passing memory
I would've also had a lot of questions towards this RAM which supposed to just run on XMP values - which are 3600... probably 18-21-21 1.35V given it is Corsair Vengeance.
Because XMP with single profile is 95% times is profile that supposed to run on set 1.35V. And if it doesn't work from box this way... Maybe RAM sticks are just not very good.

Thing is 3700x memory controller should easily support 3600 RAM. So... either motherboard you have on hand is a piece of junk in terms of memory compatability, or memory itself doesn't run by specs

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS