Should I be worried?

doomdesire86

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
So I just built this new rig with a 7850, and I love it, everything is solid, except one thing.

Earlier today, was watching a youtube video, and out of nowhere pixels on my screen just turn into random colors. It wasn't all of my screen, but it was sort of like a checkered pattern. This lasted for like 5 seconds, and it was frozen. Five seconds later my browser crashed, everything went back to normal and I haven't experienced it again. My question is, should I be worried? Or am I fine? The GPU temps at the time were about 41 degrees celcius, and the outside temperature was around 100 degrees F here in california.

I've owned this computer for only 3 days, and my PSU is a 500W corsair power supply, although I wasn't doing anything demanding except watching a video. Should I just ignore it and continue on with my business? This is the only time it's happened.

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Well it doesn't use much power. It only needs one six pin so I'm guessing it only uses 130 watts top. So your PSU shouldn't be to weak. Um I would just keep using your PC and if it happens again try reinstalling drivers I guess. Check if it is mounted in the PCIe slot well enough and make sure the it is plugged into the sic pin well. If problems persist check your voltages in the BIOS. If there are no problems with the voltages and problems keep happening then it would be cause for concern. I wouldn't be that worried right now, but PCs tend to keep having problems if you don't change anything.

CG_Gamer

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Ive had this happen to me before but a long time ago, anytime I would watch a video while I was overclocked my system would freeze then crash and rest like nothing happened

im not sure if that was what happened in this instance but i sure sounds familiar

doomdesire86

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Hey guys, back again. Sort of happened again today...

Was on my browser again, and as doing some research when the top part of Chrome had the same checkered pattern. It lasted only a few seconds, nothing froze, and as soon as I minimized Chrome it went away.

Is there any certain artifact test I can take? I'm kind of skeptical whether it's the GPU, it's just sort of weird. It's also very unoticeable and sort of transparent.

doomdesire86

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Okay guys, I'm confident it's fine and whatever the browser defect was is probably just a driver defect from either the GPU driver or other software drivers. Unigine Heaven runs(and looks) great. Thanks for the help. In a few days I'll be getting BF3 and should have no problems. If I do this XFX card comes with a 2 year warranty, so ^^