Question Should I buy a 1080 Ti ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
total war/ skylines/ are all very ram and cpu intensive games. my gpu 2060 super runs skylines fairly well with little issues but my cpu gets absolutely hammered by it which is a ryzen 7 5700x

i agree that the 1080 ti isnt a good buy if possible search around for a rx 6700 xt

Wuwu

Great
Oct 30, 2023
I was referring to every game except that one, it's hardware requirements and performance are utterly ridicolous.
Going to be honest here, the requirements are not absurd. Our expectations are, the game looks amazing even on low which is why a card like the 1080 Ti is long in the past now.

Our expectations of a game looking low quality on low are not what we get with AW II, we get something that looks like Cyberpunk without RT on ultra at low on AWII then Ultra looks ridiculous which is mostly just RT enhancements.

7 years is a great saga for any GPU, but it's time to stop expecting and start facing reality.

The 1080Ti lacks features that also pushes it further behind, hence the RTX 2060 killing it.
That 2060 was already coming pretty close in some newer games, but not many.

It still don't change the fact we don't need Ultra.

The 1080 Ti can't even do low.

Reactions: Order 66
I was referring to every game except that one, it's hardware requirements and performance are utterly ridicolous.
I'm not sure what you're talking about here as if you have a card that supports mesh shaders the performance is fine until you start putting all the rt features on. I mean in TPU's testing the RTX 3050 gets a bit over 30 fps at 1080p/max non rt. In general it's UE5 games which are the ones savaging every card unless you use upscaling.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Well, they're playing the semantics game because it always used to be that "unsupported" meant "does not work at all", a sentiment that was echoed by Tim Schiesser (although it might have been Steve Walton). This is why the tech press was speculating that it wouldn't run at all. Personally, I hadn't heard much about mesh shaders and I certainly didn't know that the RX 5000 cards didn't have it because until now, it made literally no difference so it wasn't ever talked about.
it is interesting that both the 5700xt and 1080ti both don't have mesh shaders. Which is interesting because the 1080 ti outperformed the 5700xt at launch, but in Alan Wake 2, the 5700xt destroys the 1080 ti. according to this techpowerup article anyway. The 1080ti also doesn't have mesh shaders, but it gets destroyed by the 5700xt. I should be fine with 6800 since it has hardware mesh shader support. I did not know that not having mesh shaders made that big of a difference until I learned that the 1660 ti destroys the 5700xt only because it has mesh shaders. https://www.techpowerup.com/315149/...00 series,5700 XT delivers unplayable results.

This is why I wasn't going to buy a 3080 at all until they released the 12GB model and I was able to get one for the same price as 10GB. At that performance level less VRAM than a 1080 Ti/2080 Ti despite being faster than both was just unacceptable to me.
For that same reason (also because it was A LOT less expensive), I got my RX 6800 XT.
Ah I was just looking at price point and wondering why anyone would want either one for ~$150.
Neither would I, but we're both fortunate enough to not have to. For people who literally can't afford more, these cards work great, Alan Wake 2 notwithstanding.
I didn't say anything about extra performance just that the difference between an 8GB and 11GB card at this level of performance (meaning this relative level of GPU performance) is irrelevant. You won't be playing anything at a high enough resolution to really notice the difference in texture quality (barring mods that are potentially VRAM hogs).
Yeah, I went back and read it again and I realised that I mis-read it. You're right, my bad.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Neither would I, but we're both fortunate enough to not have to. For people who literally can't afford more, these cards work great, Alan Wake 2 notwithstanding.
What else would you buy at that price point? I don't know of anything that would beat the 1080ti at $150, also check your conversations.

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
I play mostly Total War, Civ, Cities Skylines type of games. My gaming pc is quite old: Core i5 6600K OC'ed to 4.5 Ghz, and GTX 1060. This set up is still ok at 1080p, but it's not quite up to the task ever since I upgraded to a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor.

A new gaming PC would be ideal but money is kinda tight. Maybe a used 1080/1080 Ti would be a decent stopgap measure for now? These can be had for ~150$ on eBay. I want to target ~50-60 fps.
Well, that would really be great if the GPU is in good condition and that may oftentimes be not very easy to tell. CPUs, on the most part, either work or don't - so getting a second hand CPU is by measures safer. Graphics adapters are a little more finicky and there may be damage or serious exhaustion which might bring artefacts or stuttering or other problems which you may hardly be aware of before making your purchase. So it would be quite dangerous; in comparison to buying a 2nd hand CPU for example. So do keep that in mind.

Otherwise if you can find a good card that would be great.
Or you can save up some money and buy a new card. After a few years you can change the other components in your system to new ones too and keep the card you bought in current times.

it is interesting that both the 5700xt and 1080ti both don't have mesh shaders. Which is interesting because the 1080 ti outperformed the 5700xt at launch, but in Alan Wake 2, the 5700xt destroys the 1080 ti. according to this techpowerup article anyway. The 1080ti also doesn't have mesh shaders, but it gets destroyed by the 5700xt. I should be fine with 6800 since it has hardware mesh shader support. I did not know that not having mesh shaders made that big of a difference until I learned that the 1660 ti destroys the 5700xt only because it has mesh shaders. https://www.techpowerup.com/315149/psa-alan-wake-ii-runs-on-older-gpus-mesh-shaders-not-required?cp=2#:~:text=AMD's Radeon RX 6000 series,5700 XT delivers unplayable results.
Sure, it destroys it, but in the same way that the RTX 3060 "destroys" the RX 6600 in RT. Neither of them is really all that usable and it's like being the tallest midget in the room.

I play mostly Total War, Civ, Cities Skylines type of games. My gaming pc is quite old: Core i5 6600K OC'ed to 4.5 Ghz, and GTX 1060. This set up is still ok at 1080p, but it's not quite up to the task ever since I upgraded to a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor.

A new gaming PC would be ideal but money is kinda tight. Maybe a used 1080/1080 Ti would be a decent stopgap measure for now? These can be had for ~150$ on eBay. I want to target ~50-60 fps.

Is your PSU up to the task?, Its not the same to deliver power for a GTX 1060, than for a 1080TI.

since this isn't really an Alan Wake 2 / future game conversation:
Maybe a used 1080/1080 Ti would be a decent stopgap measure for now? These can be had for ~150$
if you really don't ever plan on playing newer games with new technologies then the 1080 Ti can still be a pretty decent card these days.

though both are overclocked somewhat, i still have one paired with an 8700K and it can do decent performance @ 1080p on most higher quality games with mostly maxed settings(minus anything RT related).
usually averages ~75fps on Cyberpunk 2077, The Outer Worlds, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Dying Light 2,..

though those same games run like crap @ anything over 1080p with those same settings.
using my 3440x1440 display the same games average ~30fps.

The 6600xt might be faster than the 1080ti in terms of GPU horsepower, but the 1080ti has 11GB of VRAM. not that is going to matter for much longer if Alan Wake 2 is any indication.
11GB VRAM at that performance level is virtually meaningless so it's not really a selling point whereas the 6600 XT uses less power, has an up to date featureset and should have longer driver support.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I'm in fact looking to get 6600XT instead of 1080 ti. It's newer and uses less power, and a lot less likely to have been a mining card.
Not to mention, you can get fluid motion frames on it which will help improve performance at the cost of latency. You could also use RSR for games that don't have FSR.