kayy222

Prominent
Jun 29, 2020
Hey there,
I have these power issues in my area and I'm wondering what UPS should I get for my build. Should I buy 1000va UPS which actually is recommended for my build or should I save my money by using just a 600va UPS. I aim to decide between "Artis 600va" and "Artis 1000va"

System info:
MOBO: MSI B450 tomahawk max
CPU: Ryzen5 2600x
PSU: Cooler master 750w gold
RAM: Gskill 8x2 4000Mhz
GPU: AMD rx 580 8gb

Solution
What is the requirement?

For the most part a UPS is intended to provide power just long enough so the computer end user can gracefully and properly shutdown the system and supported peripherals.

Overall, that should take only a couple of minutes. If you are not always sitting at your computer you may need to allow a couple of additional minutes time via the UPS.

The intention is not to continue playing games, keep working on a project, etc. Just end whatever is being done and shutdown thereafter.

Reason being to save data, prevent file corruption, and perhaps even physical damage to the system if the power surges up and down.

I would buy the 1000 va - doing so may cost a bit more but those few extra minutes may prove...

Ralston18

Titan
What is the requirement?

For the most part a UPS is intended to provide power just long enough so the computer end user can gracefully and properly shutdown the system and supported peripherals.

Overall, that should take only a couple of minutes. If you are not always sitting at your computer you may need to allow a couple of additional minutes time via the UPS.

The intention is not to continue playing games, keep working on a project, etc. Just end whatever is being done and shutdown thereafter.

Reason being to save data, prevent file corruption, and perhaps even physical damage to the system if the power surges up and down.

I would buy the 1000 va - doing so may cost a bit more but those few extra minutes may prove invaluable.

Do look at the Joules. That is also protection. However the joules are cumulative so over time surge protection will be reduced.

Solution

kayy222

Prominent
Jun 29, 2020
What is the requirement?

I would buy the 1000 va - doing so may cost a bit more but those few extra minutes may prove invaluable.

Do look at the Joules. That is also protection. However the joules are cumulative so over time surge protection will be reduced.

The requirement being the area I live at keep getting around 4-5 power cuts for around a minute or so every day. Sometimes it might last up to an hour too but this is not very often though.

And I do use artis 600VA currently although it's battery is dead and it was originally used for my old build. So basically it's serving kind of like an extension. It's warranty is up and I might have the option to replace the battery but I'm not sure about it.

I do play games and render few stuff now and then but this ain't a big issue, since my main motive to buy a UPS currently is for the online exams I'd have to face henceforth I fear the power cuts.

I'd go with the 1000VA. Thank you.

Last edited:
The "extra play time" I was mentioning is true but also tongue in cheek - however it also impacts the UPS's ability to bear with heavy power draws. If your computer is pulling 150W on average, anything would do - but if it peaks at 600W or above the 600VA would give out on such a spike. Not the 1000 VA.
It may be a good idea to replace the battery of your 600 VA and use it to power your DSL box and some other stuff, though.