Should i get a Thunderbolt?

Rodoux

Reputable
Nov 21, 2020
Hi, my laptop is a hp-dk0011la, since my SSD only has 3% of life left im going to change it for other with double of memory and im gonna upgrade the RAM to 16 GB, but i want more graphics (mainly because there are games which i cant run so i have some questions.

1-. Seems that i cant upgrade the graphic card of my laptop, but seems that im able to use a thunderbolt, since i cant get a desktop this is my best bet, would i be able to run the game Deadthloop (which needs 6 VRAM and my laoptop has 4 VRAM) if i were to use a 3 GB graphic card with thunderbolt?

2-. Would i be able to run Oculus link if i add that 3 GBS? (1650 alone isnt enough for VR gaming, but idk if using other graphic card would help).

3-. Which thunderbolts are compatible with my laptop?

4-. If my graphic card which is inside of my laptop dies, could it be replaced with the same model?

DSzymborski

Titan
1. No, it doesn't work like this. If you're running something off a GPU, it can only access the VRAM on that GPU.

2. They won't work together. What external GPU are you thinking about? I can't think of a 3 GB GPU that you would be wanting to run Oculus off of.

3. What do you mean "which thunderbolts?" First, what version do you have? I don't see any listing of a Thunderbolt port on hp's site; we can't guess the specs. Second, what you need is a good enclosure, which will cost you $200-$400. Plus, of course, the PSU to power it; anything that can properly run a GPU good enough to bother with Oculus will likely be in the $70 and up range.

4. It's most likely soldered in, so replacing the internal GPU would involve a full motherboard replacement, which is basically buying a new laptop.

Reactions: Rodoux

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
....................my laptop is a hp-dk0011la................................ Which thunderbolts are compatible with my laptop?

None. Your laptop's USB-C port supports power delivery and DisplayPort but not Thunderbolt.

4-. If my graphic card which is inside of my laptop dies, could it be replaced with the same model?

Because it's an HP laptop, it's highly unlikely that it can be replaced.

Reactions: Rodoux