Ferrariassassin

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
Ok first off here is my build.
CASE: Rosewill Challenger
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Pro4
GPU: MSI R9 280 GAMING 3G 384-Bit
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
HDD: Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
PSU: XFX TS Series 550W
DVD-Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner

Ok so i was wondering what is up with SSD`s? Should i get one, do i need one with tons of storage? I heard from others that it is good to get a SSD with atleast 60GB+, download my OS on it, and use my other 1TB HDD for everything else. What does it mean to Download my OS on it and use my other HDD for every other use i don`t get it. Does it mean like if i put my OS on a SSD it will load faster, and if i do put my OS on the SSD how would i use my other 1TB HDD instead of the SSD? I would not even know how to start up my new PC and select the SSD to use and download the OS on.

Solution
The SSD will help you tremendously in Booting UP (when you start your machine up) your pc to around 20 seconds (to password screen) and also with games too loading up fast (since there is no spinning of plates or what not). The HD is because is cheaper as storage (you can dump all your software, pictures, music etc etc in there). NOw when ever you want a few games (60GB is wayyy to small for me, instead I got 256gB) install them in the SSD and you will notice they load up fast.

Best Luck

tachybana

Distinguished
The SSD will help you tremendously in Booting UP (when you start your machine up) your pc to around 20 seconds (to password screen) and also with games too loading up fast (since there is no spinning of plates or what not). The HD is because is cheaper as storage (you can dump all your software, pictures, music etc etc in there). NOw when ever you want a few games (60GB is wayyy to small for me, instead I got 256gB) install them in the SSD and you will notice they load up fast.

Best Luck

Solution

shoe59

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
You have the right idea.

When you put your PC together and boot up for the 1st time, go into the BIOS and select the SSD as your 1st priority boot drive. Then restart and install Windows and it will install onto the SSD. (Fool proof way would be to not even hook up your HDD until you have Windows running).

Once HDD is hooked up, it will be drive E: , and you can save things to that drive accordingly. All Windows files will be kept on the SSD, and you can put high priority applications on the SSD as well -- which will be the C: drive.

Hope this helps

Ferrariassassin

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014

Well what if i just use the SSD for my OS and nothing else? And would this SSD be enough for the OS and a few games like skyrim?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171740

Ferrariassassin

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014

Well thank ya man! :) I mainly want to just have my OS on it. But would 60GB be enough for windows 8.1 and maybe a few games like skyrim? Also is this one a good brand?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171740

shoe59

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
Also I would recommend minimum of 120GB, you will find that even that capacity may fill up quickly. 250GB would be safer if you have the $ in your budget.

Anytime you save files or install a new program, just make sure you select either the C: drive to save it on SSD or the E: to save it on your HDD.

shoe59

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
DEFINITELY run Skyrim off the SSD! Load times are like nothing compared to a PS3 or Xbox... 5 seconds at 1st startup, then like 3 seconds every load screen after that.

Sandisk seems like a trusted brand to me, I've never used it and I am no expert just letting you know! I would go 120GB though, because not all 60GB of that will be useable due to formatting etc. So once windows and skyrim are installed you are going to be pushing it already...

shoe59

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014

I think that should be fine. read a few reviews to see what the others thought. 120GB for sure