[SOLVED] Should I overclock even if I still have stock air coolers?

Feb 14, 2021
Lately, I've been wanting to overclock my GPU to get more perfomance in games and I'm not sure if I should actually do it since I still l have my stock coolers that are already about 3-4 years old.

Incase it matters, here are my specs & temperatures

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB VRAM

CPU: I7 6700k

Motherboard: H110M-PRO

RAM: 16GB

CPU temperatures when idle: 25-35 celsius

GPU temperatures when idle: about 40-45

Cheers!

Last edited:
Solution
I can't seem to be able to change the GPU offset & Mem offset?

I'm try to change the number from 0 MHz to for example 200 MHz but it doesn't work?

Try this:

You can use GWE to monitor your GPU settings, so no need to uninstall that yet. Overclocking on Linux isn't as straight forward since most applications used on windows don't have Linux versions.
Feb 14, 2021
You can try to overclock the GPU. If you see your card heating up too much while overclocking then you can always just disable it. It doesn't hurt to try. Just increment the overclock values slowly so you know what values make it unstable.

I actually never thought of that, I'm gonna try that later.

I actually never thought of that, I'm gonna try that later.

You'll want to start with the Core clocks. Keep raising it by 30 everytime, it usually drops 15Mhz at each thermal throttle mark fyi. As for the VRAM, you can theoretically push it to the max value and it still won't crash though this is unadvised since although it's not crashing it may be spitting out tons of errors. When it starts outputting errors it needs to spend extra time correcting those errors and thus you lose overall performance, so for overclocking vram you need to feel around for the sweet spot. +500 is a typically a good level to push it to if it's GDDR6 VRAM.

Feb 14, 2021
You'll want to start with the Core clocks. Keep raising it by 30 everytime, it usually drops 15Mhz at each thermal throttle mark fyi. As for the VRAM, you can theoretically push it to the max value and it still won't crash though this is unadvised since although it's not crashing it may be spitting out tons of errors. When it starts outputting errors it needs to spend extra time correcting those errors and thus you lose overall performance, so for overclocking vram you need to feel around for the sweet spot. +500 is a typically a good level to push it to if it's GDDR6 VRAM.

I can't seem to find the option to increase it in my BIOS?

Feb 14, 2021

So I just got GreenWithEnvy (which I'll from now refer to as GWE) and I don't know where the core clocks are & where to increase the VRAM.

Feb 14, 2021
You see in the video where it shows GPU offset and mem offset at the bottom of GWE? That's where you apply the overclock. GPU offset is core clock and mem is VRAM,

I'm try to change the number from 0 MHz to for example 200 MHz but it doesn't work?

Try this:

You can use GWE to monitor your GPU settings, so no need to uninstall that yet. Overclocking on Linux isn't as straight forward since most applications used on windows don't have Linux versions.

Solution