Question Should I partition a 2tb NVMe for Win 10?

ceriumhk

Honorable
Jul 25, 2014
Hi, I've read around some of the threads I could could find. I'm doing a fresh install of Win 10 to my new 2tb 660p. Should I partition a section just for Windows and another section for everything else?

If so, what size would you suggest for each partition?

Thanks

JBHapgood

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
In my next build, I expect to use a 1TB M.2 drive. I haven't decided exactly how to partition it, but I'm leaning toward 600GB/400GB.

Why partition it? Ease of backup. The bootable C: partition will contain executable programs and all the configuration stuff that goes with it. The D: partition will contain data that loads fast (other data that's archival or otherwise doesn't need to load fast goes on a hard drive). I can easily back up the D: partition and the hard drive directly to an external hard drive every few days, or as needed. The C: partition, whose content changes less often, can be backed up less frequently with a drive imaging program (Terabyte Image) that can restore the system if the drive fails.

I've partitioned my system drive that way for years,

popatim

Titan
I use a dedicated partition to put my stuff that will work when windows is reinstalled and not need reinstalling itself. Pics, Vids, Docs, Steam/Origin/Uplay games & apps, and a handful of other programs I use. Oh and all my drivers. Have to have easy access to those when re-installing windows. LoL

Everything else goes into the windows partition.

TRENDING THREADS