Question Should I sell this?

Jun 8, 2021
I have an Asus GTX 750 thats unfortunately got a defective fan controller chip. It doesnt affect its performance whatsoever but the fan does ramp up to 100% briefly and then stops, it does this 2 or 3 times a minute and makes a bit of noise. I'm just thinking with the market the way it is right now, someone might want it and not care but I kinda feel bad cause of the noise it makes.

It was my partners but Ive since given her a R7 370 and she said it doesnt always make the noise, after a while it just stops doing it and behaves properly.

Ralston18

Titan
No - do not sell the GPU.

Any remaining warranty? If so then RMA.

That said, if you advertise/list the GTX 750 with a full explanation of the problem then it becomes a matter of a potential buyer's deciding (for whatever reason) to buy.

And "noise" is subjective".

Next:

"Asus GTX 750 thats unfortunately got a defective fan controller chip "

How was that determined?

Consider that there may be some other, perhaps solvable, issues involved.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Jun 8, 2021
Any remaining warranty? If so then RMA.
I purchased this secondhand a couple years ago, so no warranty or way to RMA it. I determined it was the controller chip from lots of googling and finding that it was a common problem with them even the TI versions, it did seem exclusive to Asus cards from what i could find.

Its done it in multiple systems of vary age with varying PSUs.

My partner has just told me it started doing it after i cleaned the computers with the air compressor, yes i held the fans still when directing air on them so they didnt spin faster than their intended speed, perhaps something came loose?

Ralston18

Titan
"Air compressor"?

Hopefully you mean just "canned air" and that you were correct in holding the fans still when directing air, etc....

In any case, cleaning and the speed suddenly ramping up may be coincidental.

Who knows what all may have happened to that GTX 750.....

It may simply be at it's designed EOL (End of Life).

Jun 8, 2021
"Air compressor"?

Hopefully you mean just "canned air" and that you were correct in holding the fans still when directing air, etc...
Nope, an air compressor. Definitely not a can. I barely squeezed the handle trigger so it was low pressure coming out of the nozzle, and the fans were held firmly still.

I'll just assume its at EOL and have it recycled properly.

Ralston18

Titan
When you blew the air on the GPU was that just after shutting down and perhaps the GPU was "hot"?

Even if not hot the sudden cool down may have caused a contraction and something cracked.

Warms up, fan runs, cools down, stops, warms up again -- hence the cycle....

TRENDING THREADS