Should I tell them to shove it?

G

After reading the report on the Dell 8100 and its performance compared to other "slower" computers, ("Pentium 4 systems - to buy or not to buy / to cry or not to cry") I called Dell and asked for a return authorization. The CS rep asked what the problem was with the computer. I (nicely) explained that I felt ripped off performance wise with this setup. I'm a busy grad student with little time for detailed comparison between companies and I went with Dell based on reputation. The fact that the Nvida GeForce 2 MX did so poorly compared to the "stock" card ( GeForce2 Pro 32mb) on the gateway with the AMD chip really made me angry at Dell. I then asked if they had the GeForce Pro in stock and if I were to pay the difference between the MX and the pro would they be willing to sent a tech out and put it in. They told me that they don't even have the Pro in stock yet. They did however offer to replace the GeForce2 Pro 32mb with the GeForce2 Ultra 64. I told them I would look to see if it was worth it and call them back. My question is; is it worth it? Other than performance issues the computer is great. I can't find any articles comparing the Ultra 64 to the GeForce Pro (If anyone does know of one please feel free to point it out to my knucklehead). Or should I tell them to take it away and look for something else?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Ultra is significantly better than the PRO if both cards are not tweaked (running at stock specs). Since you are a busy student, I'm assuming that tweaking is not something you'd consider.

Suicide is painless...........