[SOLVED] Should I upgrade anything on my current PC?

rockerm1

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
Ryzen 5 1600x 3.6 ghz
RX470 Sapphire 8GB
16 GB RAM DDR4 2400mhz
Asus B350M-A
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

I've had the gpu for a bit over 2 years and my cpu for a bit over a year and with all the commotion that's been going on with the XT series and the new 3000 Ryzen series, I've been wondering if there's anything that I should upgrade provided I have a good PC for at least 3-4 years more from now on. I'm planning to add an SSD at the end of the year.
I'm pretty sure people will crucify me when I say this but I game in 720p, 1080 never actually interested me because I just don't like big screens. Should I get one for this PC? Will I see any benefit from it?

Thank you!

Solution
Yeah its not really about big screens its more about image quality. Get a nice 22 to 24 inch 1080P 144hz Free-sync monitor and your life will be better for it.

If you do that then I would first get a RX 5700 or 5700XT then as suggesting a B450 motherboard and Ryzen 3600 or 3700X. If you want to start streaming and gaming then a X570 and a 3900X would be a good choice.

Another thing, get faster RAM, Ryzen recieves a pretty significan boost in performance with 3200mhz or faster RAM in Dual Channel.
Yeah its not really about big screens its more about image quality. Get a nice 22 to 24 inch 1080P 144hz Free-sync monitor and your life will be better for it.

If you do that then I would first get a RX 5700 or 5700XT then as suggesting a B450 motherboard and Ryzen 3600 or 3700X. If you want to start streaming and gaming then a X570 and a 3900X would be a good choice.

Another thing, get faster RAM, Ryzen recieves a pretty significan boost in performance with 3200mhz or faster RAM in Dual Channel.

Solution

rockerm1

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
If you're gaming in 720p... man, I'd get a 1080p monitor. Then you'd want to upgrade to the 5700 XT (or 5700 if you want to save money) and maybe even a Ryzen 5 3600 or better if you have the money.

720p... man. I couldn't.

Thing is, I don't have much money and prices here in my country are just way too much. I was thinking of getting the monitor and some time later a 5700. Will this be enough for a couple of years? Will I get better performance if we compare the 5700 and the RX470?

C0v3r

Great
Jun 9, 2019
Thing is, I don't have much money and prices here in my country are just way too much. I was thinking of getting the monitor and some time later a 5700. Will this be enough for a couple of years? Will I get better performance if we compare the 5700 and the RX470?
If you don't have much money than go for the monitor then when you can save up get a better gpu in a few years the 470 will still look pretty good at 1080p

If you don't have much money than go for the monitor then when you can save up get a better gpu in a few years the 470 will still look pretty good at 1080p
Agree.

Buy the monitor now. the 470 can still run games pretty nice at 1080p, so you can hold off on the GPU upgrade for awhile.

You can overclock the 470 or flash it into a 570 to get better performance (overclocking the 470 to 570 speeds is the least hassle)

Reactions: rockerm1

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm going to be the dissenting voice here... now, I have NEVER gamed on a 720p monitor, but my dad's got a 720p TV in his office-room, 30-some inches diagonal, and I've never really noticed that the image was a problem when watching TV.

My eyesight isn't the sharpest, though.

I like larger screens. I had a 27" 1920x1080 monitor, and I would say that a lot of people tend to believe that's too big a screen for 1920x1080, but I was VERY comfortable with it.

I actually wish my current 38" ultrawide was something on the order of 3440x1440 instead of 3840x1600.

My son's 34" 2560x1080, again, a situation where some would say that's too low a resolution for that big of a screen, but he and I find the experience very pleasant, and his eyesight is spot on.

Higher resolutions will demand more of a video card.

I would say not to upgrade anything until you know for sure what you want in a monitor, AND can afford a video card to support whatever that monitor is.

I'm also going to say something that is generally considered blasphemy, but - the ultra-high refresh rates are generally beyond what the human eye can pick up. Once you get past 100-ish or so, I would be EXTREMELY surprised if any blind study was done where a power-user or hard-core gamer could tell what refresh rate the screen is if they're not told in advance.

I find gaming at 75fps/75Hz, or even 60fps/60Hz, to be extremely smooth.

That said, sometimes a monitor with a high refresh rate doesn't cost any more than one without it. So, if the monitor has FreeSync (an adaptive sync technology that both AMD and Nvidia cards can use), then go for it. (with the same caveat of waiting until you can afford both a monitor and a video card)

Then again, maybe not. If your system is not letting you down in any way right now, then there's no need to upgrade at all.

rockerm1

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
Agree.

Buy the monitor now. the 470 can still run games pretty nice at 1080p, so you can hold off on the GPU upgrade for awhile.

You can overclock the 470 or flash it into a 570 to get better performance (overclocking the 470 to 570 speeds is the least hassle)

So, it would be like this: everything stays the same except I get a monitor and just wait a few years until I can buy a better gpu in the future.
I just want a computer that can last a good amount of years, running games comfortably without me going insane about upgrading every year.
My 470 is already overclocked, it's the nitro+

rockerm1

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
I'm going to be the dissenting voice here... now, I have NEVER gamed on a 720p monitor, but my dad's got a 720p TV in his office-room, 30-some inches diagonal, and I've never really noticed that the image was a problem when watching TV.

I like larger screens. I had a 27" 1920x1080 monitor, and I would say that a lot of people tend to believe that's too big a screen for 1920x1080, but I was VERY comfortable with it.

I actually wish my current 38" ultrawide was something on the order of 3440x1440 instead of 3840x1600.

My son's 34" 2560x1080, again, a situation where some would say that's too low a resolution for that big of a screen, but he and I find the experience very pleasant, and his eyesight is spot on.

I would say not to upgrade anything until you know for sure what you want in a monitor, AND can afford a video card to support whatever that monitor is.

I'm also going to say something that is generally considered blasphemy, but - the ultra-high refresh rates are generally beyond what the human eye can pick up. Once you get past 100-ish or so, I would be EXTREMELY surprised if any blind study was done where a power-user or hard-core gamer could tell what refresh rate the screen is if they're not told in advance.

That said, sometimes a monitor with a high refresh rate doesn't cost any more than one without it. So, if the monitor has FreeSync (an adaptive sync technology that both AMD and Nvidia cards can use), then go for it. (with the same caveat of waiting until you can afford both a monitor and a video card)

Then again, maybe not. If your system is not letting you down in any way right now, then there's no need to upgrade at all.

Thank you for your insight! I was actually planning to buy a normal 1080p monitor since, like I said earlier somewhere in the thread, prices in my country are just too much for me. I'll see what I'll do. Maybe you are right with the last part, I'll just use this PC as much as possible and then at some point in the future when newer things come out, I'll upgrade everything in one go. Though it is pretty tempting seeing how much better AMD's stuff is now compared to what I have.

I think a lot of clarity comes down to size.
I have looked at a 768p screen on a few laptops lately and i dont mind it. It looks as sharp as my larger 1080p panel.

That being said, I truly HATE laptops with cheap TN panels regardless of resolution. Constantly wiggling screen so it doesnt look washed out, but it never fixes it.
I assume a desktop monitor would be ok, but i think VA or IPS is a real upgrade.

rockerm1

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
I think a lot of clarity comes down to size.
I have looked at a 768p screen on a few laptops lately and i dont mind it. It looks as sharp as my larger 1080p panel.

That being said, I truly HATE laptops with cheap TN panels regardless of resolution. Constantly wiggling screen so it doesnt look washed out, but it never fixes it.
I assume a desktop monitor would be ok, but i think VA or IPS is a real upgrade.

Yeah, I get what you mean. Problem is, an IPS monitor here costs basically the same (and some models even more) than a 5700. That's why I was thinking of just buying a normal 1080p monitor since there isn't much of a choice for me sadly.

Aug 18, 2019
Like they said Sir your Monitor would be the best upgrade than the rest your current setup CPU and MOBO is good the B350 is still capable doing so and also your CPU and you don't have to worry about upgrading your CPU because there are BIOS updates that Asus provided that B350 MOBO can support 3rd gen Ryzen CPU.

I hate 27” 1080p, worst monitor mistake I made. No problem for gaming or watching videos but working with text (Word/Excel/Web pages) the lack of sharpness is really annoying to me. I have since seen others and they are equally poor so it’s not just my monitor.

As for high refresh rates. I have actually seen a couple of reviews where they blind tested 240Hz over 144Hz and some testers could tell the difference, but only some. Apparently the difference is small unlike going from 60Hz to 144Hz which is a huge improvement.

In what way are you not satisfied with your current pc?
If your games are fast action shooters, are you looking for higher fps?
If your games are more visually oriented, are you looking for a better image quality?
Many will feel that gaming is more immersive with a larger/wider monitor.

I am not a fan of preemptively upgrading for "future proofing"
Times and products change. Upgrade when you want to change.

I will agree with your plan for a ssd. It is one of the most satisfying upgrades you can make.
I will never again build without a ssd for windows.

rockerm1

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
Thanks for all the help, everybody! I appreciate it a lot. I've reached the conclusion after reading some opinions that at the end of the year or so I'll buy a 1080p monitor and an SSD and just upgrade my PC in one go when newer stuff comes out. Again, thank you!