[SOLVED] Should I upgrade CPU or GPU?

Nov 5, 2019
I am going to upgrade my PC for games and I think I will upgrade CPU, but I'm still not 100% sure.
My GPU is r9 280, while my CPU is athlon x4 760k quad core. I already picked out the new CPU and motherboard I'd have to get, but still weighing my options. I think my GPU is better than CPU so I'd upgrade the CPU first. Also I'm not looking to play games at ultra or anything like that, medium and even low is fine for me as long as I get good stable framerate.

Solution
  • How are you finding performance currently?
  • Are you monitoring CPU/GPU/RAM utilization whilst in-game?
  • What are you aiming to achieve, specifically? Are you addressing frame drops etc?
I would expect there's a little more performance available from a 280, that you might be able to achieve with a stronger CPU... but an x4 760 + 280 is a fairly well balanced combo.

I already picked out the new CPU and motherboard I'd have to get, but still weighing my options.

Which are?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
  • What are you aiming to achieve, specifically? Are you addressing frame drops etc?
I would expect there's a little more performance available from a 280, that you might be able to achieve with a stronger CPU... but an x4 760 + 280 is a fairly well balanced combo.

I already picked out the new CPU and motherboard I'd have to get, but still weighing my options.

Which are?

Solution

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I am going to upgrade my PC for games and I think I will upgrade CPU, but I'm still not 100% sure.
My GPU is r9 280, while my CPU is athlon x4 760k quad core. I already picked out the new CPU and motherboard I'd have to get, but still weighing my options. I think my GPU is better than CPU so I'd upgrade the CPU first. Also I'm not looking to play games at ultra or anything like that, medium and even low is fine for me as long as I get good stable framerate.

Get rid of that CPU for sure. I'd get rid of that GPU for the hell of it as well. Try and find a used RX 480 on EBAY on something. I know you aren't looking to play games on ultra settings, but if you can afford better components, why be cheap?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 5, 2019

Which are?
R,

Which are?
I think I'll get Ryzen 5 2600 and B450m DS3h. And I just want better framerate and stable because it sometimes jumps all over the place. I tested it on PUBG which runs kinda slow for me and CPU had about 90% while GPU 60%.

Nov 5, 2019
Get rid of that CPU for sure. I'd get rid of that GPU for the hell of it as well. Try and find a used RX 480 on EBAY on something. I know you aren't looking to play games on ultra settings, but if you can afford better components, why be cheap?
Yeah I think I'll have to wait because I need to get a new motherboard and RAM as well.