[SOLVED] Should I upgrade GPU?

Sep 5, 2018
Hey there,

I have following components in not so new gaming PC:
  • Intel i5 4460
  • Radeon Club R9 280
  • 12 GB RAM DDR3
  • 500W power supply
I am planning to invest a bit money in it soon (around $400 probably) and I am not sure which should be upgraded first? I guess GPU is always a good go (to GTX 1070 or similar) but not sure if other components will be sufficient. I will probably replace them later but not sure if this old CPU or DDR3 RAM won't create too much bottleneck and new GPU won't event do a thing

Last edited:
Solution
Getting a new gpu will get you much more fps, but it will be held back a little by that cpu.
Not by much though, especially if you keep background tasks to a minimum.

If you want to spend a bit more, you could wait a month, get the new ryzen 3300X (cpu)
and a 1660 super, ddr4 ram and a board and be at around 450$, with a whole new system, which will be faster than your current one

or, get a rx 5700/2060 super now, and have it bottlenecked a little, then spend more in the future to get a new board and cpu and ram.
that will get you better performance. (even with that old cpu, a 2060 super will be faster than a 1660 super.)
Getting a new gpu will get you much more fps, but it will be held back a little by that cpu.
Not by much though, especially if you keep background tasks to a minimum.

If you want to spend a bit more, you could wait a month, get the new ryzen 3300X (cpu)
and a 1660 super, ddr4 ram and a board and be at around 450$, with a whole new system, which will be faster than your current one

or, get a rx 5700/2060 super now, and have it bottlenecked a little, then spend more in the future to get a new board and cpu and ram.
that will get you better performance. (even with that old cpu, a 2060 super will be faster than a 1660 super.)

Solution