Should i upgrade my corsair cx600m?

Oct 29, 2018
Hello. Recently my old graphics card (r9 270x 2gb) failed and I am upgrading to a gtx 1070 ftw from evga. My current power supply is a corsair cx600m (the old green label one). I tested my friends gtx 1070 with this power supply and it worked, but I also heard about how bad the quality is from this power supply (mine still works though). The new power supply I'm looking at is the evga supernova g2 650w 80 plus gold. Should i upgrade to this power supply for $80 to be safe or would I be fine just sticking with my old power supply?

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
there is nothing wrong with that psu. wasn't the best on the market but the negative hype was WAY overblown. i've used those psu's in many builds and not had a single one have any issues. in fact i have 2 in my house right now. now way i'd have my pc's powered by anything dangerous. unless it is having problems, there is no reason to replace it.

the newer cx series (grey label) is a great budget choice as well. they upgraded it a bit and fixed a couple minor flaws in the design and made a heck of a unit for the cost.

RyanTodd1

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
I agree with @Math Geek, i have used these PSU's in my system and have done for a long time. Never have i had any issues what so ever. They run a dream for me. That being said i did swap mine out when i upgraded my PC and i now have the 1070 TI using the TX550M and it works a dream and sort of takes some concern away as there is now minimal risk!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The old CX series wasn't *good*, but it wouldn't really fry PCs. It would mostly just fail long before a better one does. It has the basic protections and is functional. We're talking a mediocre PSU, not one of those GamingPowerUltraSuperX 700W with 30A on the +12V rail and capacitors that washed ashore at Qingdao reeking of fish.

Now, I'd personally put the G2 in there, but it is not *absolutely* necessary. In my case, since I work from home, my home PCs are my office PCs, so it's far more important my PCs work whenever I need them to, far more than what is really a trifling sum of money in the big picture. But your needs and financial situation may vary.

Oct 29, 2018
Thank you guys for the replies. The main reason I'm asking (I should have explained this in my original post) was that I bought a gtx 1070 ftw from evga, and the card sparked and stopped working when i tried hooking it up to my power supply (the corsair cx600 green label). I heard this isn't a great quality psu, but i also heard of other 1070 ftws from evga sparking or exploding (this might be a gpu problem cuz my corsair cx600 worked just fine with my friends 1070). I didn't know if my power supply did that or if i just got a crappy graphics card. My replacement 1070 is on its way so if i just got a crappy gpu, i won't order a new psu but if it was an issue with my psu then i will order a new one (i really dont wanna spend another $30 to ship it back for another RMA if it breaks again but I also dont wanna spend $80 on a new psu if i dont have to)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Hold the phone, Doris! This was definitely a key bit of information that you didn't tell us. Talk about leaving out the lead story!

Everything was off when you installed the GPU, correct? If so, there should *never* be a spark. At that point, I'm definitely not trusting that PSU any longer, whether it's a budget PSU or a SeaSonic platinum-rated. That changes things considerably. And if you have a second card that's dead on arrival, EVGA may quickly decide that it's not their manufacturing defect but your power delivery, which becomes officially your problem rather than theirs.

RyanTodd1

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015

Further to this, please tell me you powered your machine off and flipped the kill switch on the PSU before carrying out ANY work on your PC?

Im assuming you didnt since it sparked but this is an absolute necessity when working with computer systems. Turn the power off!!! Wait 5 seconds and press the power button again to release the trapped power!

Your card should never have sparked. Get rid of that PSU asap before it ruins the rest of your hardware :p

Solution
Oct 29, 2018
When I hooked it up to the 1070 and then turned my pc on, my gpu sparked. After it sparked i immediately shut my computer down, but the rest of my computer still works. Im definitely buying the g2 now

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Excellent choice. I'm glad you mentioned this before you did in fact try the new GPU. Given the sparks, it's also very likely that it was the cause of your 270x's demise.