Question Should I upgrade My GPU when my CPU is bottle necking a little?

Feb 16, 2019
I'm currently playing most modern games at medium low graphics on a PALIT GTX 1050TI , I have a GIGABYTE F2A68HM-HD2 motherboard and a AMD A10 7700K (oc) CPU. I want to have better gaming performance and visual experience that is brought with a new gpu. ( I am interested in the so called GTX 1660 that is coming out sometime this month) my CPU is quad core at 3800MHz. If I was to get a new GPU I would need to upgrade my PSU. For now on low graphics (as an example) fortnight runs at 120fps but can drop to 70 with CPU utilisation at 90-100%. I would appreciate advice or tips. many thanks!

stejorin

Honorable
Apr 13, 2014
If your CPU is already bottle necking with a lower powered GPU, Buying a higher powered GPU wont improve performance, you'll still be bottle necked. You need to upgrade both the GPU and CPU to parts that match well together to prevent a bottleneck.

Reactions: JakeP3010
Upgrading to a GTX1660Ti will improve performance, you just won't get the FPS you'll see in reviews from people using top end modern CPUs. Think of a bottleneck like a % performance degradation.

If you're able, your A10 should be upgraded. Perhaps later this year?