Question Should I upgrade my pc or buy a VR headset?

CoffeeStoreGuy

Distinguished
May 7, 2017
The quest 3 just came out and it's looking pretty good especially when I see people talking about actually being able to read text. I use to have a VR headset an Oculus CV1 I don't know if it was just me, but if I remember correctly that headset was pretty bad and blurry with a noticeable screen door effect. Watching movies with bigscreen and I played for about 2 or 3 days straight with basically no sleep then I put the headset down for 6 months. Now I think it's a good time to revisit VR with the Quest 3, but I could upgrade my pc for around 600$. I don't know what else I'd be upgrading my pc for considering I find most games boring these days, and I don't even want to spend money on new games. The only games that actually seem fun are indie and don't require a lot of power to run.

Here is my current rig though: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hHs9KX

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Being honest, I don't know how much these new VR headsets are doing of the "own work" in relation to what you see, but based on the system spec you linked you may well be due a system upgrade. This would have a lot to do with that you are playing and doing with the system otherwise.

I don't mess with VR aside from very pedestrian use of other people's set...but one of the biggest issues I have personally experienced is getting motion sickness from chop due to poor system integration. I would check very closely on what this new headset requires, if anything at all.

CoffeeStoreGuy

Distinguished
May 7, 2017
Being honest, I don't know how much these new VR headsets are doing of the "own work" in relation to what you see, but based on the system spec you linked you may well be due a system upgrade. This would have a lot to do with that you are playing and doing with the system otherwise.

I don't mess with VR aside from very pedestrian use of other people's set...but one of the biggest issues I have personally experienced is getting motion sickness from chop due to poor system integration. I would check very closely on what this new headset requires, if anything at all.

If you connect a VR headset to a pc the VR headset is practically doing 0 of the work besides taking the image and projecting in the VR headset. This system I have is due for an upgrade, but I don't see my self doing anything more than I am now in the future besides maybe VR gaming which I have checked and my specs should be able to handle 80hz at a slightly lower resolution when it comes to VR gaming.

I don't know what more I would be doing than I am now. I mean I'm hoping for a programming job in the future, but unless I'm doing some intense calculations I don't think it matters too much. I kind of only play smaller games with my friends like phasmophobia and minigolf. I play fortnite if my friends aren't online and I'm usually getting around 200fps in that game. I don't really want to play singleplayer story games like God of war, spider-man, or something similar to those style of games.

Every game I've bought recently I've returned not because of performance, but because they were pretty boring. Maybe I'm growing out of games, but the way it seems a lot of people on the internet feel the same way. I think VR might spice it up.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I feel you on the titles thing, for sure.

It seems to me that many of the devs are trying to create this simulation type experience, as real looking as it can be and totally forgetting that it is supposed to be fun. For instance, Starfield. Spend a few minutes getting used to the controls and such in the beginning, and then directly into time and time again spending 20 mins to get somewhere with 2 minutes of action once you arrive.

Dec 25, 2023
I had the same discussion with myself, but decided to go with the Quest 3, which are amazing experience (Didn't give up on the will to upgrade my PC.. :).

...spending 20 mins to get somewhere with 2 minutes of action once you arrive.

LOL, I laugh because many are complaining about how quick and easy it is to travel to distant locations. If you're consistently taking 20 min to get where you go in the game, you must be on foot and over burdened.

There's a lot of people that complain about the repetition of NG+, and I get that, but one of the perks of it is the Starborn suits each NG+ get an increase in how much you can carry, and when combined with the Personal Atmosphere power and Boost Pack upgrades, it makes even terrestrial travel fairly quick.

However, while there are several epic quests that are fun and quite long, I DO think there's not enough of them that are like that. As many have said, the game's main flaw is a lack of content. I also got a lot more enjoyment out of using the workshop in FO4 than I do using the Shipbuilder in Starfield. I mean it's fun once you get the hang of it, until you realize all you need do is a quick modification of the Star Eagle or even the Razorleaf.

Last edited: