Should I Upgrade my PC?

Captic

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
I'm wondering if I should upgrade anything in my pc but I'm not looking to spend more than $200. I currently have an AMD FX-6300, 8gb corsair vengeance, amd radeon 260x. should i upgrade any of these soon? Maybe get more ram?

Solution
Either make a subtle upgrade to your GPU and perhaps add an SSD for the rest. The more solid option: Buy a good GPU and a PSU to follow, granted you do not have a quality PSU, as ShadowR34per pointed out.

If you have a quality PSU, invest it all in a GPU.
Either make a subtle upgrade to your GPU and perhaps add an SSD for the rest. The more solid option: Buy a good GPU and a PSU to follow, granted you do not have a quality PSU, as ShadowR34per pointed out.

If you have a quality PSU, invest it all in a GPU.

Solution

Captic

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014

I already have an ssd, do you have any other good gpus i should upgrade to for less than $200? Preferably from bestbuy since I have giftcards for them.

First, Sir, you must tell me what brand and wattage, preferably product number your PSU is, then we can better guide you towards the highest performance GPU for your needs.

Captic

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014

This is my current PSU
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DGHKK7M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Azn Cracker

Distinguished

Uhh don't buy computer parts from best buy unless you want to get ripped off. I went in there last year and they were still trying to sell a 460 gtx for $120 lol

--

and yea a 280x will cost bout $200. check newegg, amazon, and tigerdirect.

OP, if my words mean anything, this suggestion, MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card for $190 from Sir ShadowR34per is very solid. Strong card,followed by a strong price. I would vouch for that. I always prefer Nvidea myself, but that is a purely subjective and personal thing, there are no doubts that AMD makes competitive products themselves.

Agree with the above two gentlemen. Disagree with Mr. @jonzoo. Sure you can find some amazing offers when buying used hardware, and even find a better card for the same money. However, I do not consider this a valid approach when only upgrade one part.

I do acknowledge that sometimes the "used-hardware" option is superior, but for me the risk-taking does not justify the, somewhat, small price-drop.

Buy new:

1) Get warranty.
2) You can be sure it works. If it does not, RMA is an option.
3) Its a new product. You are the first user.

The only time wherein I consider used parts, is essentially if I am building a budget PC from scratch, or if I see an amazing offer from a seller close to my location, so I can visit that person, and confirm that the hardware's functionality is satisfactory.