pedrolopez

Commendable
Nov 18, 2019
I recently built my new PC, and I used the KOLINK Citadel Micro ATX case. IT came with two case fans, and one magnetic dust filter, that goes on top.

I've configured one of my fans to take air in from the rear of the case, where the IO is, and one to push air out from the top, directly above my CPU. My temperatures are fine (80 degrees maximum) but i'm more concerned about dust.

I've configured the fans this way as hot air naturally rises, and even if this only helps with temperatures slightly, I've still decided to use this config.

However, the fan at the top is pushing air from inside the case INTO the dust filter. Doesn't that mean that dust will get trapped inside of my PC instead? and if so, are there any other configs i should use? (sch as both pulling in from the top) I only have two case fans, and i can't buy more.

Solution
Best practice is to have front intakes with rear/top exhaust.
With only two 120mm fans, I would put them both in front as intakes.
The optimum would be 3 120mm in front.
Better might be two 140mm front intakes; they move more air quietly.
One 120mm exhaust in rear is mainly to direct cooling air past the cpu cooler and graphics card.
I would leave the top filter in place.
The reason would be to keep dust from settling into the case through the top.
Your parts are not overly hot so I would not worry too much about cooling.

If there is a way to put a filter in front, where all the air intake is, that would be good to keep your parts cleaner.

Lutfij

Titan
Your case's fan orientation should be front = intakes and the top and rear = exhaust.

Might want to list your specs like so:
CPU:
CPU Cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:
Fans:

to better understand the setup. Also, make sure the PSU fan is facing down, not up towards the PSU basement.

pedrolopez

Commendable
Nov 18, 2019
Your case's fan orientation should be front = intakes and the top and rear = exhaust.

Might want to list your specs like so:
CPU:
CPU Cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:
Fans:

to better understand the setup. Also, make sure the PSU fan is facing down, not up towards the PSU basement.

CPU: i3-9100f
CPU Cooler: stock intel cooler
Motherboard: ASrock phantom gaming 4
Ram: 2 x 8gb corsair vengance LPX 2400 MHz
SSD/HDD: 500 GB wd Blue ssd
GPU: 1650 SUPER
PSU: corsair cv450
Fans: 2 x 120mm fan

also i can't add the dust filter to the rear of the PC, as it does not fit.

I've configured one of my fans to take air in from the rear of the case, where the IO is, and one to push air out from the top, directly above my CPU.
Reverse rear fan to exhaust. And add 2x 140mm front intake fans.

If you can't add additional fans then default config - 1x front intake, 1x rear exhaust config is better than your current.

upload_2016-1-18_13-56-17.png.4c625261ee9f7813dfeb669b87104adf.png

Best practice is to have front intakes with rear/top exhaust.
With only two 120mm fans, I would put them both in front as intakes.
The optimum would be 3 120mm in front.
Better might be two 140mm front intakes; they move more air quietly.
One 120mm exhaust in rear is mainly to direct cooling air past the cpu cooler and graphics card.
I would leave the top filter in place.
The reason would be to keep dust from settling into the case through the top.
Your parts are not overly hot so I would not worry too much about cooling.

If there is a way to put a filter in front, where all the air intake is, that would be good to keep your parts cleaner.

Solution

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I recently built my new PC, and I used the KOLINK Citadel Micro ATX case. IT came with two case fans, and one magnetic dust filter, that goes on top.

I've configured one of my fans to take air in from the rear of the case, where the IO is, and one to push air out from the top, directly above my CPU. My temperatures are fine (80 degrees maximum) but i'm more concerned about dust.

I've configured the fans this way as hot air naturally rises, and even if this only helps with temperatures slightly, I've still decided to use this config.

However, the fan at the top is pushing air from inside the case INTO the dust filter. Doesn't that mean that dust will get trapped inside of my PC instead? and if so, are there any other configs i should use? (sch as both pulling in from the top) I only have two case fans, and i can't buy more.
That dust filter is mainly meant to help keep dust from falling down into the case. Also its magnetic, even if dust were to build up you just peel it off and wipe the dust off. If you only have two fans keep one as an intake in the front, and an exhaust in the back. Air will naturally rise up out of the top vent.

Reactions: Phaaze88

TRENDING THREADS