[SOLVED] Should I use my old cooler or buy a new one?

xxer12

Commendable
Jan 2, 2019
So I am buying a new CPU (i5-10600k) and currently I have a NZXT Kraken M22 AIO. I originally had a cooler master 212 evo when I built my computer 3 years ago and I changed to the nzxt about a year ago and I would like to change back to air cooling, but should I buy a new cooler master 212 or just put the old one on? Does it matter that much on the age?

Solution
So I am buying a new CPU (i5-10600k) and currently I have a NZXT Kraken M22 AIO. I originally had a cooler master 212 evo when I built my computer 3 years ago and I changed to the nzxt about a year ago and I would like to change back to air cooling, but should I buy a new cooler master 212 or just put the old one on? Does it matter that much on the age?
I would use a better cooler with a 10600K than a 212 just like I do.

Decent cooler for that CPU if it fits in your case.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YsHRsY/scythe-fuma-2-5117-cfm-cpu-cooler-scfm-2000
Are you changing motherboards?

Or just the CPU?

What is the old CPU?

If you are not changing motherboards, I'd expect you can just go back to the Cooler Master if you were happy with it.

You'll need a new application of thermal paste.

If you have serious over-clocking on your mind, maybe you would need to upgrade the cooler.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I would use a better cooler with a 10600K than a 212 just like I do.

Decent cooler for that CPU if it fits in your case.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YsHRsY/scythe-fuma-2-5117-cfm-cpu-cooler-scfm-2000

Solution

xxer12

Commendable
Jan 2, 2019
Are you changing motherboards?

Or just the CPU?

What is the old CPU?

If you are not changing motherboards, I'd expect you can just go back to the Cooler Master if you were happy with it.

You'll need a new application of thermal paste.

If you have serious over-clocking on your mind, maybe you would need to upgrade the cooler.
I am changing the mother board and my old cpu was i5-8600k and my old motherboard was a Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra gaming. I'm changing to a MSI Z490-A PRO ProSeries.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
212 is adequate for running a 10600k at stock, or even an 11600k. But no overclocking.

If you want to be able to change power limits and boost duration or set an all core overclock, you will want something bigger.

Noctua NH-D15, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 and the like.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The old CPU requires an 1151 socket motherboard.

The new CPU requires a 1200 socket motherboard.

I know nothing at all about Cooler Master coolers.

It may not even be mountable on your new motherboard, let alone if it is "good enough".

LGA1156, LGA1155, LGA1150, LGA1151v1, LGA1151v2, and LGA1200 all use the exact same physical layout. Only LGA1700 with 12th gen is different (and the HEDT sockets from Intel)

I would try the hyper 212 since you have it.
It will fit a lga1200 motherboard since the mounting holes are the same.
It turns out that one needs a beefy cooler when all threads are running full.
But, when only using half a dozen threads, like most games do, the heat generated is not excessive.
Noctua maintains a cpu cuitability chart for processors.
Here is the one for a 10600k:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i5-10600K-399
The hyper212 is most similar the the nh-U12s.
A bit stronger is recommended for full performance.

USAFRet

Titan
It really isn't. You'll get elevated temperatures and rather loud operation noise.
For 4core/4thread cpu it's fine. For 6core/12thread cpu - not fine anymore.
Agree.
The 212 series is good for a low budget cooler, for a low intensity CPU.

They gained notoriety due to low cost, and being slightly better than the stock device.
For good or bad, that notoriety lingers.

Given any additional budget, use something else.

TRENDING THREADS