Should i wait for NVIDIA DirectX 11 series?

mfarrukh

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
I just bought a new computer thanks to some great people in here who helped me
Everything except GPU
Now i like 5850 very very much
but do you guys suggest that i should wait for NVIDIA new generation cards?
I can still wait for two months
When are they coming

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
You shouldn't wait for something like Nvidia DX11 cards if you don't have specific interest/use with that product. If a current existing solution is fit for your needs then don't hesitate to get it.

As for me, what I'm waiting was when the prices drop. :)

What precisely are you hoping the waiting will help with? If money is an issue the Nvidia cards may inspire a price drop on the HD5850 but perhaps not. From what I've read I doubt when first released the Nvidia cards will be particularly competitive with the ATI cards on a pure price/performance level. Buying a temporary lower end card would likely negate the possible price drop advantage anyway.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I'm waiting for Nvidia, mostly because it should mean better prices on AMD's side (not to mention the benefits of a 5870 over my setup are pretty much nothing until some more dx11 games come out).

It is a hard call though considering you don't have any GPU setup at all. So yeah, go with a 5850 and then later down the road you can get another (if your mobo supports crossfire).

If you can find a used graphics card, like a 4870 or something, that you can resell for about the same price you got it for a few months down the road then I'd wait it out.

Milos-stancene

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
The fact that Nvidia couldn't produce Fermi in time for the Christmas season says a lot about the product.

Obviously there are issues that they are having trouble with AND/OR it wasn't competitive with what ATI already released so they decided to scrap/delay it.

If Nvidia had ANYTHING competitive on the table, believe me they would have released SOMETHING in time for the holidays.
Secret weapon... at the end

If what you have in there now keeps you satisfied at the moment you should wait. If for nothing else than the price drop that is going to happen when the ATI card manufacturers keep up with the market demand. They will drop down to release prices.

Sinse there is always a better card coming around the corner, you'll always be waiting for the next best thing. Unless you really don't like ATI, there isn't a lot of reason to wait for NVIDIA to release there next cards, which keep getting delayed atm.

If you choose to get a low end card now, get an Nvidia card that has PhysX. Even if it's considered fluff, I do see more people using it's abilities. I choose to get a low end nvidia card because you can make it a dedicated PhysX card after you get your new one, so it's not completely waisted money. Current benchmarks on Batman show that a single high end card loses a lot of FPS using PhysX (at high settings it becomes unplayable), but with a low end dedicated physX card, you lose almost no FPS.

Flying Sq

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I'm waiting for the nvidia card to come out, then compare, I have a 275, so i'm good for now. Plus, that will give the game market more time to develop and/or come out with more dx11 games, plus Crysis 2 will probably launch with it.

sedaine

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007
Questions to ask yourself:

1) Can the card play the games you're interested in?
2) Is it within your budget?
3) What are the cards shortcomings if any (heat, energy, noise) and can you live with them?
4) What is your DREAM PERFORMANCE? e.g. Single GPU averaging 50 fps in Crysis at the highest settings - how close do available cards get to the mark?
5) Will the Nvidia cards hit the DREAM performance mark or add meaningless 3-4 fps extra? i.e. HD 5850 = 22fps in Crysis - Nvidia 300 = 26 fps.

mfarrukh

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
I don't have a budget problem
I can even buy 5970 HD right now
But I don't want that much performance. And ANAND TECH said ''5970 is a waste on 1 monitor''
Which means that it works best with 3 monitors
I am just trying to figure out that may be NVIDIA can give a better card.

sedaine

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007

Define better.

Flying Sq

Distinguished
May 10, 2009

Really? You can't discern that for yourself?

I know i'm hoping the next Nvidia card has a smoothie attachment and a voice operated OCing system that will talk to you while you work out the frustrations of finding a limit for your card, maybe offer stock tips.

When NVIDIA releases their next card, you'll then be sitting there with the same question. "Should I buy the NVIDIA card, or wait to see if ATI's next card will be better?"

It really is a never ending cycle.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
You know what is so sad, up until yesterday I had 5 straight Nvidia cards starting from 3dfx, 6800xt, 8600gt, 8800gt, and the 9800gtx+........ Even by looking at my logo I loved Nvidia, its support, drivers, physx, its affiliated games, and evne the brand.... But I just got a 5850.

It is out of this world and I couldnt wait for FERMI or any of Nvidias GTX300 series..... While playing the original Crysis I did notice that the physics is a little different. Somehow the barrels and trees did feel a bit different in sway and bounch. I do think I will miss PhysX. It will take some time to getting used to but it is such a minor thing. Only a game like Crysis can make you realize the difference. Otherwise the framerate was so much smoother than my 9800GTX+ at Very high settings.

As for the Fermi series or Nvidia, it will take some time to come out as we have not even seen prototypes out on the web. SO if you are looking for a good card to buy, like me, DO NOT GET THE GTX285 and buy the 5850. Then when Nvidia comes out with the 300 series and hopefully it will be cheaper(highly unlikely) then wait for prices to go down and THEN buy one.

I got my 5850 here for $276! What a steal!

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

Dude... really? Do some research.
Crysis has in-house physics that use the CPU, they have NOTHING to do with PhysX.
Perhaps it looks different because you turned everything higher after you got the 5850 & you turned the Physics drop-down box up a level.

Just get the 5850, when Fermi does release, it'll be a couple of months. From the specs we've gleamed, it'll be hot, power-hungry, & most likely inefficient.

If you have a 2nd PCIe slot, you can put in that 9800gtx as a dedicated physX card. I'm currently running a 5870 with a 8800gt as a dedicated physX card, and it works awesome for the 1 game that takes advantage of it. It will require you to search the internet to make it work.

It's rather odd that you would miss PhysX in Crysis...

Especially because Crysis doesn't use PhysX. It uses an entirely CPU-based physics engine that's part of the CryEngine 2. It should be exactly the same on ATI vs Nvidia (although the 5850 should be substantially faster than the 9800GTX you had). As far as it feeling subtly different, I'm calling placebo effect. You expected a difference, and therefore you saw one (even though it was nonexistant).

That's impossible in Vista as of the last time I heard (since you need 2 separate video drivers to get it to work), and even in other OSes (I don't know if 7 supports it or not), you would need a lot of tinkering to get it to work at all, much less reliably. It could be worth a try, but I wouldn't count on success by any means.