Sick of hearing about AMD Heat problems!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There are no heat problems with AMD processors. This idea is a figment of a few peoples imaginations who feed this fake info to the masses. AMD processors are rated up to 90 degress Celcius. There normal operating temperature is a little higher than that of a P3, but that doesnt mean its a heat problem. Sure if you misplace or incorrectly install a heatsink you could fry your CPU, same thing would happen to any other 7th generation chip. Quit telling people who may want to buy AMD chips that they have heat problems because that is completely FALSE!!!!!!

If at first you don't succede, skydiving isn't for you.
<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = Idiot Outside

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what do you mean? you're sick of the ppl telling you about their burnt and crispy chips or are sick of the ppl with facts?

stop brainwashing them, like thg does.

- Amd Helpdesk -

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like wusy said. AMD and Intel cpu's both get flakey around 55C. And both are rated to 90C. That's the maximum temp before the chip frys, but NOT the max stable temp! If AMD puts out more heat LET THE WORLD KNOW, at least that way they'll know enought to get a better heatsink!

Suicide is painless...........

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Have I ever seen anyone come here saying they fried their AMD chip when they had a heatsink and fan on? Have you? I don't think so.

Face the facts, you're the one being brainwashed.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Besides that fact, every single case of someone frying their chip has been the result of overclocking. Every single heat problem (i.e. over 55) has been the result of overclocking. Some chips were never made to be overclocked, so when they get their voltages cranked up, they accumulate heat, thats just the way it goes. Me? I have an 800 running at 950 with 1.8v and my idle temp is around 44 with the maximum temp I have ever gotten was 51. I know their are a lot more people like me than their are who to the contrary.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hehe, good way of putting it, im not gonna name any names, but some people's nics plainly decribe their past results.

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i think anyone frying their chips deserves to have to buy another one. but that's the price some people are willing to pay to learn how far is too far.

<font color=red>booyah, grandma, booyah..</font color=red>

G

you provide very little in the way of facts to back up your continuing deep throating of Intel......or are you just part of the Intel PR team??

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Leave the heatsink off for a 2 minutes. and tell us there is no heat problem. Thanks

I scrolled back for post about "Antec" HSF and PSU tat have failed. Cant remember the name but they said antec failed and CPU fried.

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i left the heatsink off mine for days and nothing happened.

of course i never turned on the power.

but seriously, if you build your own system you are responsible for the outcome. if you're AFRAID of burning up your chip then get an intel. if you want to save a lot of money and feel that you know what you are doing then get an AMD. either way you get what YOU want, not what some jacka$$ on the net spouts at the top of his keyboard.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok AMD is best value for money but what happens when the fan gets old and quits? Fans are mechanical and will usually go bad way before electronics do. Some socket mobos have temp sensing but how does a slot Athlon mobo sense temp? I work on computers for a living and when those fans quit CPUs bake. Mostly the chip we have the most trouble with are Cyrix. Cyrix sucks. Do AMD mobos have fan rpm sensors? AMD is good but why can’t they spend a lousy few cents on a thermal sensor? Especially since you even admit that they generate more heat. If they don’t want to do that then they could spec sensors on AMD approved mobos.

Just had a friend ask me to go computer shopping and I recommended she buy an AMD BUT I also told her to be careful and make sure the mobo has some sort of heat or rpm sensor.

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you have a good fan/heatsink in the first place, by the time the fan goes bad that chip will be way out of date anyway. My fans normally last at least 5 years.

"Crash And Burn"

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Don't be gay.... who the hell runs their computer without a heatsink and fan? Also, try doing that to a P3. If it didn't have that thermal protectoin thing it would do that too. So technically every processor has a heat problem.

dre

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe I shouldn't own a computer, but I still need help. I just bought a new Globalwin fop38, installed it and as soon as I rebooted, my machine began to crash, blue screens, Illegal operations, you name it. My cpu temp rises higher than ever, about 50degrees idle. When I place my stock Retail AMD heatsink/fan. the problem goes away. Temp drops down to 42degrees idle overclocked from 1gig to 1150mhz. I feel I'm placing the heatsink incorrectly. I obviously know how to install the factory heatsink/fan. But I can't get this globalwin to cool or work as it's supposed to. Help guys...

G

You can say whatever you want, regardless of what processor is better performance wise, the Athlon TBird 1GHz draws 54watts at maximum usage, whereas the P3 1GHz only draws something like 35. I personally own a TBird, but if you're talking heat, Tbirds run a hell of a lot hotter and draw more power...that's why you don't see any Athlon notebooks floating around. I may like AMDs processors right now, but they sure have some work to do on the power consumation.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by redgoat3 on 01/24/01 11:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the asus a7v (rev. 1.02) has both a fan rpm and a thermal sensor. but here the problem is not with the processors but the mobo manufacturer.

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if you're looking for help here you don't need to worry about whether or not you should be owning a computer.

it sounds like a temp problem. a couple of ideas.
1. make sure you take off the factory thermal paste or whatever came on it. get some artic silver or something comparable and use that instead.
2. you HAVE to make sure the heatsink is ABSOLUTELY level on top of the die. i had problems with my chrome orb until i did (1.) and (2.)

the paste that came on the orb was so thick that the heatsink couldn't be mounted level and it interfered with the heat transfer. let us know if that helps.

aabbcc_25

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Dont buy AMD. i 've compared around 10 of my friends laptop sony,hp,dell

laptop with AMD is bad...heat and kicks off the fan always...in high performance / Recommand mode of vista.

Always read lots lots of review of your laptop model before buying...

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

No, they don't deserver to build a computer. Those who don't build can get buy with the following list in order of descending PC knowledge:

Gateway
HP
Dell
EMachines

One of the reasons I stick with AMD is I'm old fashioned, I like pins on my CPU and prefer the style of heatsink used on AMD platforms, but then again, I don't overclock. If I did, I would not use a stock heatsink.

A good case definitely affects temps too. A bad case does so as well, but in the other direction.

If the economy picks up, I might build an Intel system just to get into the modern pins on the motherboard age. I still remember when I started out building my own, and the 386SX CPU was soldered to the motherboard. Easy upgrades there.

Ah, the days of Star Control II, Elder Scrolls: Arena, Might and Magic World of Xeen and Legends of Arkania: Startrail!

Status
Not open for further replies.