Question silentpc.com need advice on config options

cormanaz

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hi all. I am ready to replace my PC, which is quite a few years old, and is starting to make a sound like the Star Trek phaser that is driving me bonkers. Current config is a Gigabyte X570 mobo with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core processor, 32 GB memory, and a NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti video card.

I mentioned the new noise but even before that there was quite a bit of fan noise, so I want a very quiet machine this time. I've built all my previous boxes myself. But this time I'm thinking of buying one from SilentPC.com since I figure they have probably done quit a bit of research to find/assemble quiet components.

I am wondering whether anyone has had bad experiences with this outfit. If not, I'm wondering what is the best configuration for my needs. These mostly involve heavy duty data processing/analysis (Pyton, Perl, statistics packages), and graphics/video creation. I am not a gamer.

They have a fanless workstation I am looking at. One question is whether I would regret the choice of the ASUS GT 1030 for a video card. That one is fanless but the other options are not. OTOH it has 384 CUDA cores vs. 2560 for the next step up (RTX 3050). CUDA cores can be used by some Python scripts and stats packages. So it's kind of a question of how much noise I could expect from the RTX 3050.

Another question is about the Raptor Lake processor options. There are two versions at each i-5/7/9 level, the second version with a K after the model number. They seem to differ in the p-core and e-core number and speed. This is new terminology to me. I looked up what they are and sort of get the difference, but I don't know the practical implications for my needs.

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
The "K" indicates it is an unlocked processor, so you could overclock if desired.

I have my desktop pc at desk level with a 2060 12GB video card in it and it is quiet as can be. I have my fans at about 30 % and running at mid 30's Celsius. You do not need to have a 1030 to have a quiet box. I build mine so don't have any idea about S8ilentPC, but do some research on them, look for reviews, etc. Good luck.

Hi all. I am ready to replace my PC, which is quite a few years old, and is starting to make a sound like the Star Trek phaser that is driving me bonkers. Current config is a Gigabyte X570 mobo with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core processor, 32 GB memory, and a NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti video card.

I mentioned the new noise but even before that there was quite a bit of fan noise, so I want a very quiet machine this time. I've built all my previous boxes myself. But this time I'm thinking of buying one from SilentPC.com since I figure they have probably done quit a bit of research to find/assemble quiet components.

I am wondering whether anyone has had bad experiences with this outfit. If not, I'm wondering what is the best configuration for my needs. These mostly involve heavy duty data processing/analysis (Pyton, Perl, statistics packages), and graphics/video creation. I am not a gamer.

They have a fanless workstation I am looking at. One question is whether I would regret the choice of the ASUS GT 1030 for a video card. That one is fanless but the other options are not. OTOH it has 384 CUDA cores vs. 2560 for the next step up (RTX 3050). CUDA cores can be used by some Python scripts and stats packages. So it's kind of a question of how much noise I could expect from the RTX 3050.

Another question is about the Raptor Lake processor options. There are two versions at each i-5/7/9 level, the second version with a K after the model number. They seem to differ in the p-core and e-core number and speed. This is new terminology to me. I looked up what they are and sort of get the difference, but I don't know the practical implications for my needs.

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.
Are you able to isolate whats causing the whine on your current build? Do you think it may be your power supply or motherboard? Are there any small fans that may be whining? Your build is still pretty decent is why i ask, and worth repairing if you wanted to.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GT1030 is pretty weak even compared to the Intel integrated GPU, GT1030 is just really old at this point. I do have a fanless one that I used to have in my HTPC. Plenty good for video playback, but I am curious about this graphics/video creation you do. A lot of tools can be GPU accelerated these days. Getting a huge GPU and setting a tiny power limit might actually really benefit you. Though you might then get coil whine from it without any fans.

There was a recent passively cooled card that was quite decent. Let me see if I can track it down and put it in a build.

Honestly nothing wrong with a 5800X, that is a very efficient processor. 14500 is a good choice as well, but you can take pretty much any modern CPU and put a power limit to 65W and use a passive CPU cooler like they are doing.

Ah, that was it, the RTX3050 6GB.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZV...x-3050-6gb-6-gb-video-card-ne63050018je-1070h

Passive CPU cooler:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TWBG3C/noctua-nh-p1-fanless-cpu-cooler-nh-p1

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Wow, they charge a lot.

65W CPU, just go into the BIOS and turn on Eco mode and that should take care of it.

Fanless RTX 3050 6GB isn't powerful, but way faster than a GT1030, surprised they don't offer it.

Similar fractal design chassis with no side panel window. Could also look at an actual dampened chassis from be quiet! if you want to. They are pretty pricey.

Got you a 2TB SSD instead of 1TB, room for more.

Now the PSU does have a fan, but it is Titanium rated and will have a silent mode. Given the potential power draw, it isn't likely it would ever spin up.

Chassis has some fans you can remove. Or you could potentially add a big 140mm fan at super slow speeds to get some airflow in the case. All while costing a lot less.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($358.56 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-P1 Fanless CPU Cooler ($109.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($170.59 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Palit KalmX GeForce RTX 3050 6GB 6 GB Video Card ($263.71 @ MemoryC)
Case: Fractal Design Focus 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex Titanium 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($174.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1657.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-19 16:41 EDT-0400

At one time, silentpc.com was a site that tested silent components and had a good forum.
I think it has morphed into a profit making organization.

Silent is not really possible, but very quiet is.

From a performance point of view, is the 5800X doing the job?
Is the GTX1050ti adequate?

What is the make/model of your case and fan arrangement?
What is your cpu cooler?
What is the make/model of your psu?
How far away is your pc located from your ears?

I suspect that an improvement in those four parts would solve your issue.

Noise comes from fans turning at high RPM and close proximity.
Not much else.