Silicon Power Finally Launches Sky Share Wi-Fi Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Simple, but still a great product idea. I'm surprised this is the first time I've seen a truly standalone WiFi HD. There's nothing revolutionary about it technology-wise yet nobody's done one this simple (AFAIK). Good example of finding an empty niche in the market and getting a product there first.

G

ASUS WL-HDD...'nuff said. Ok, no battery pack but that was easy enough to build...

G

this is already available and has been for almost a year from Seagate. It's called the Satellite drive. I use mine daily and works great! Longer battery life and more than 3 iPads can connect at once. Clearly they are playing catch up here

G

That 5-hour battery life is a deal breaker for me! The Seagate Wireless Plus lasts about 10 hours and can support up to 8 devices. So why is everyone calling this a somewhat revolutionary product?

buburuza

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Really bad chinese software design, makes it unusable.total waste of money, to bad is too late for me to return it.
- The mobile app does not allow to create or delete folders, so somehow you have to have folders created some other way.So if i want to move photos from a phone to lets say "myparty" folder, you have no way of creating that folder.
- access over wifi from a mac is broken, try copying a folder with photos in it and apparently the folder is copied without any working or errors but when you look inside the folder is empty.
-in order to copy over wifi to this drive, i had to first create an empty folder and then copy files only into it, without any subfolders.
-if you try to copy files over existing ones , instead of asking if you want to overwrite is saying the operation can't be completed because an item with the same name already exists.
-try deleting files over wifi and the files are still there with size 0
-This drive needs to be set up as a wifi router between your devices and your internet wifi router, so your devices will be connected to this drive's ssid network and from there over wifi again to your internet wifi router.if would have been useful to be able to connect it to an existing network too.
- Since you are forced to connect all you devices to the drives ssid network is really stupid to disable the wifi when the drive is connected over the usb cable, leaving all over devices without internet access.
-The web interface that the manufacturer is claiming to work as a file transfer interface over wifi can't delete folders, so if i create a folder with the wrong name , i will have to abandon the web interface, disconnect the drive from wifi, connect it over the usb and only then i can delete folders.
-As i mentioned above the device acts as an internet sharing over wifi but it has to be rebooted daily because the connection to the internet became so slow is hard to use it. After a reboot is fine again for about a day or two.

Over all is such a struggle to use this drive , is useless. The only reliable way to use it is as a usb drive, but then is really expensive for just that.

I wish the manufacturer find this review useful and fix this issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.