SimCity, One Month Out: Still As Troubled As Day One?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RiValSSJ

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
This game reminds pirates why pirating games is better than giving money to companies so they can eat it and give you crap in return.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]jamus34[/nom]I also love the fact that they will BAN your Origin ID if you request a CC chargeback because they sold a sheet product...Way to stand by you product there guys.[/citation]

They don't. They eventually disable your access to SimCity and whatever free game you picked if you picked one, which obviously they should. Your account is not disabled. This has been verified numerous times on the official SimCity message board by people who have done chargebacks as well as by Origin themselves. Stop spreading FUD.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/03/no-ea-wont-ban-you-on-origin-if-you-ask-for-a-refund-for-simcity/

lojikl

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Just as a note. I managed to hit up PayPal for a partial refund for this game for being significantly not as described. I only got 90% returned but that amount may vary depending on how hard you push them.

I think this is the only way EA will take note of the failure.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Your complaints are worthless. Until people stop buying the products, the move to online-only will continue. Complaining won't change it. Stop supporting it with your dollars! They aren't forcing you to buy: you have a choice.

Agreed entirely. I suffered through the game and wrote the review so you don't have to buy it to find out how terrible it still is.

If, at any point, EA makes good on the promises they made and the SimCity brand is redeemed through an epic patch, I give you my word that we will let you know. If SimCity becomes the thing we were all hoping for, or at least meets one-fifth of our expectations (which were entirely reasonable and predicated on the premise the game was marketed under), the Tom's Hardware community will be informed in a review not unlike this one.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I have downloaded this somewhere just to try it and see what's the fuss. I haven't installed or played it yet since a month. After this article, I'll just delete this garbage.

vicsrealms

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
[citation][nom]Soma42[/nom]Plenty of single player games like Fallout, Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, The Witcher, FTL, etc. all are incredibly successful. If you make a quality product and make it easily accessible (i.e. limited DRM) to people, they will pay for it.[/citation]

Not to mention that Fallout and Skyrim are all heavily moddable, so you can continue to play them over and over again...if you can keep them stable. lol

shrub1

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Its how EA rolls launch a big name game then move on to the next. They have your money so the job is done.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
I just want to say thank you to all of you have paid EA to beta test this game. Please keep up the good work because it definitely need more beta testing before i can remotely consider this game.

cirdecus

Distinguished
DLC is a load of crap. Paying extra for things that are conveniences are ok, but paying extra for key functions within the game is robbery.

Imagine if you had to pay to get dragon armor, daedric armor and more quests in skyrim? 5 bucks gets you 10 more quests!

Give me a break EA. This isn't the app store.

MotherFerJones

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
[citation][nom]MotherFerJones[/nom]GREATEST SCAM EVER.....EA doesn't give a shit, they already have your money. "Fool me once, shame on me, Fool me twice, shame on you" Words to live by.[/citation]

LOL i feel stupid "Vice Versa the quotes" lmao.

ramon zarat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I ***REALLY*** do appreciate the journalistic integrity! :)

No bullshit, no half baked stories, no reality distortion field. Just the plain truth, "in your face" style. I love it. Tom Hardware is not afraid alienating one of the of the most powerful player in the industry, namely Electronic Arts. That goes a A LONG way toward building credibility and trust.

NOTE: There a more and more dominant IT companies in recent years that have become cynical, manipulative, arrogant and completely disconnected from their user base and reality: Electronic Arts, Microsoft and Nvidia just to name a few.

chugot9218

Honorable
I, like many users, were pretty hesitant about the initial release of Steam, especially considering the small library of games it would be using (CS, TFC, etc..). I must admit, I do in general like Steam, and am especially heartened at the sales model they use for games like DOTA2 and TF2, you get the complete game and any items that actually modify the play of the game are available for free (at least over time), and the items available for purchase only are strictly cosmetic. The model of purchasing items that affect game play is what turned me off from LoL.

jordanjkj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
[citation][nom]chugot9218[/nom]I, like many users, were pretty hesitant about the initial release of Steam, especially considering the small library of games it would be using (CS, TFC, etc..). I must admit, I do in general like Steam, and am especially heartened at the sales model they use for games like DOTA2 and TF2, you get the complete game and any items that actually modify the play of the game are available for free (at least over time), and the items available for purchase only are strictly cosmetic. The model of purchasing items that affect game play is what turned me off from LoL.[/citation]
What can you buy in LoL that affects gameplay? because i cannot think of one. Runes can still be bought with IP points

chugot9218

Honorable
How about the characters, I understand you can still get them for free, at a ridiculously slow rate however. I want access to something like that right out of the gate, or to at least unlock them at a reasonable enough rate.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Ive not bought an EA game in years because of how they RUN their business and treat their gamer customers like criminals. I've been buying EA games since 1985 for my Commodore 128.

SecROM, limited installs, and now this crap?! Every one of their games is hacked from day one... so they only abuse their PAYING CUSTOMERS.

This article mentions Tomshardware changing their own software.

LOOK, I can post a message! Does this mean the "NEW" comments module is gone... because it IS PURE USELESS crap.

The only reason I responded is because this is the OLD one.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
After reading this, I think I may install SimCity 4. I think I have it around here somewhere. I'll just keep the save files in my skydrive folder for when I'm on the road. XD

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Wow people really don't like EA and simcity. I've made two cities both 100k population and seen some issues with traffic lights and such but I still think it's a lot of fun and I'm glad I bought it... Happy I'm not a video game developer you guys are a tough crowd!

bee144

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

Only 100K? Lots of the issues start coming out by 150K pop. Make it that level and show some dedication to that city. It's not hard to reach that level either. I maxed out right around 400K pop and thats when their bugs really "shine."

deck

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
DRM and launch problems aside, I chose not to buy this game because it lacks everything I want in a Sim City title. That on its own may not have been enough for me to boycott the product, but it was a particular interview with one of the EA "creative directors" insisting that in this iteration of Sim City, they had really "listened" to what fans of the franchise wanted (ie, online game play). I found this to be a such a transparent lie, I was actually offended. (And it is pretty difficult to offend me)

I know many people that have played this franchise since it started. None of them would say that what they wanted in Sim City 5 was a dumbed down, cartoon styled city builder with a significantly reduced feature set. For my part, all I wanted was Sim City 4 without the grid...

Status
Not open for further replies.