SimCity, One Month Out: Still As Troubled As Day One?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bron

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
Now you know why I have stopped buying new PC Games (for the most part) and buy only DRM free games when I do buy. Screw 'em. There are plenty of good DRM free games out there and I can pass on the trendy crap they are putting out these days which has lots of sh*t and no fun. Look for good indie games and sites like GOG where there is still fun to be had.

IS EA bankrupt yet? Only a matter of time.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
What a joke, so glad i didnt buy this game.

EA really doesnt get it. Completely oblivious to why they are a horrible company. It would be easy to fix their problems, but they are completely oblivious to them.

Aviad Grobler

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
I feel sorry for the game Sim City I played the first one on my xt computer and I was hooked It was the same was with sim city 2000, 3000, 4000 but this one is terrible i mean if you have a game that is great and has a lot of people that want to play why change it, it was perfect before you can't make a perfect game better only update the graphics of the game, let's think about it sim city 4000 with the graphics of today would be beautiful
And let's not forget they forgot to put the bloody tube trains
Well I probably I have to play city life deluxe it may not be sim city but it’s the closeted that I can get with today's graphics

iethree

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
The article was a bit too harsh. I really like the new simcity as far as design choices. I like the smaller city, with a focus on fine-tuning and increasing density.

Yes, the server issues have been awful and frustrating, but I think the game itself is quite good.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Why did people pre-order this knowing it's going to be online? If you don't agree with it being online then don't pre-order it or just wait for the issues to be fixed before purchasing it.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]chugot9218[/nom]How about the characters, I understand you can still get them for free, at a ridiculously slow rate however. I want access to something like that right out of the gate, or to at least unlock them at a reasonable enough rate.[/citation]

If you play well enough then you can earn more IP points. Most people don't like this model, but I have grown to love it. It let's me focus on the champs that I already have and try out new ones during the weekly champ rotation.

sudz28

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Peter Moore strikes again. I've said it before but I'll say it again, he is the Romeo Crennel of the gaming industry. Everywhere he goes he fails, massively, but somehow gets handed a giant sack full of cash and gets picked up somewhere else to do it all again. How does this guy keep getting jobs? I do think the article was far too kind with Diablo III though - even after the launch problems continue to plague users who simply want to play a single-player game. Always-connected-to-our-servers DRM is a sucker game I'll never fall for again. "Thanks for your $60, now enjoy looking at a blank screen because we're doing maintenance on our servers where your single player game happens to reside for some bizarre reason".

ShouldntHave

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Wow. It sounds SO bad. Didn't read beyond page 2, honestly. (Why should I "pay the price" -- ANY sort of price -- for a game which I've known since first reveal, would be worse-than-worse-than-bad?)

Hey, SimCity 4 (the last good one, I suppose) is periodically $5 on Steam. It's not perfect either, but far more appealing than ^^this^^.

And BTW, regarding the Diablo III comparisons: on the one hand it says something about how atrocious this game and EA's delivery thereof really is, that it actually makes Diablo III's release sound not-as-evil. But on the other hand, dear author, please cease any attempts to absolve Activision/Blizzard of their many crimes against gaming itself ... to make them sound, comparatively, like "good guys" .... as they are equally guilty, and, the ruination! (If you would like to continue on, however, about the many things that have been unnecessarily abstracted in the new SimCity -- and how meaningful parallels can be drawn to the many things that were unnecessarily abstracted (aka "dumbed down") in the new Diablo, please feel free. "Commerce Headquarters"?? Orly?! Even "the sims" has food processor, oven, microwave, barbecue, not just "food making thing".)

Bottom line: EA and Activision/Blizzard -- ALL THEY DO and ALL THEY HAVE DONE FOR THE LAST ~15 YEARS is try to out-evil each other. No one wins, and we all lose. Boycott, ppl. . . boycott.

w0_od

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Anyone who gives EA money deserves whatever they get. I have not bought a single EA game for a long long time.. /shrug not that i am a smart user or anything i am just too stubborn to admit that they might have something worth buying. Fortunately i have not missed anything they produced

G

[citation][nom]amoralman[/nom]Best. Article. Ever./rantI can't stress enough how EA, fake DLC, always-online is killing the industry, ruining franchises. I can't wait for the day games are given back to gamers, and the aggressive capitalism gets the fuck out of the gaming business./end rant[/citation]

You know all this hate people have for EA can be just as toxic as the stuff EA does. I am sick of people painting EA as a money grubbing company who only cares about making billions and billions of dollars at any cost. If they were as greedy as people say, their stock price would be sky high. Turns out, it's not.

EA doesn't ruin franchises. Say with Mass Effect, the fans are completely at fault on that one. They brought it on themselves. Most of the answers to explain that "unfinished ending" are in the game. Gamers are too lazy to find the answers though.

Expecting nearly bug free games is unrealistic. With games rising in complexity, it'll take nearly 5 years to make a kind of game like that. Besides, some games that are taking their sweet time in development (eg. Half Life 3 or the sucessor to Episode 2), and after about 3 years, gamers get really impatient and start demanding news on when this game is going to be out. Gamers don't get to decide when games are ready to release though. In the world of economics, gamers are consumers, not producers.

Gamers hate paying for DLC period, and expect it to be free after release or included on the disc, even if it wasn't advertised to them. The companies that release most of their DLC for free, gamers call it "DLC done right", but if they have to shell out $5 for extra content, all hell breaks loose. That's called being greedy, just like they claim EA is being greedy to them. What a bunch of hypocrites.

Besides, most of the DLC out there is completely optional. It's not like there is a big sign in the game saying "want to see the rest, pay $10". Nope, you can finish every game out there without paying for the DLC.

I've got news for these kids, DLC costs money. It costs money to make games. Maybe these gamers should get better paying jobs than flipping burgers at McDonalds and they'll be able to afford this. They don't seem to realize that capitalism is a system where you exchange money for goods and services. Not, get goods and services for free without exchanging money.

Screaming about buggy games on the internet isn't going to do anything. You want game developers to stop making buggy games (be it EA or other companies like Bethesda with Skyrim)? Stop buying from those developers who make buggy games. That's how capitalism works, kids.

Reality is casual gamers rule the industry and they could care less about all these buggy games. If they had a problem with it, they'd silently vote with their wallets, instead of getting into a foaming rage on the internet.

May 28, 2013
To the one who laughed... You obviously didn't play Sim City. EA ruined this fantastic franchise that I loved and played for years and wasn't their brainchild to begin with... I still don't get "why?". They earned and would have earned millions more on it. If I ever meet an EA executive I'll gladly help him find his way to the hospital. This will probably be the last installment in the series I'll live to see and I feel cheated. This is an inferior product and I can only call their business-model racketeering, it's a simple outrage.. You can see that the distance cyberspace creates between producer and customer only leads to abuse of trust and short time thinking to earn the fast buck. This shouldn't be allowed to go on. These people deserve jail sentences and the customer needs to be protected against these cyber rackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.