[SOLVED] Single & Dual Rank Memory

TheMightySquelch

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
Hi, just installed two (2) similar modules to my sister's laptop.

I did not notice a difference between them during installation. They are 16GB DDR4-2666 SODIMMS; both by Kingston, similar packaging and model numbers even to the QR code on the package, but bought from different merchants, 3mos apart.

Once installed, I was a bit surprised that the speed was registering 2267MHz at Task Manager and I thought it was an error, but upon checking CPUZ and HWInfo it was really at 2267MHz. Turns out, one of the modules is dual rank and did not even have timings for 1333MHz, it just listed from 667MHz at 1067MHz . Talk about luck.

pm86DzGup

pnjbLETxp

pohnuRaMp

pnOqInT8p

poCY6Jcxp

Any thoughts on how to "activate" or "enable" it to have timings up to 1333, or just replace it with another module? (A bit funny, now I do not know which merchant to buy from, hahaha)

Thanks,

Solution
Test with one module at a time in the PC.
Show SPD and memory tab in CPU-Z with each module in place (one at at time).
Either one module is not what it says it is, or there is some sort of incompatibility when both are in use (they are obviously made of different components)
Either one module is not what it says it is, or there is some sort of incompatibility when both are in use (they are obviously made of different components)

Solution

TheMightySquelch

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022

Hi, I got to borrow the unit from my sister, but had limited time.

Finally found the problem and probably missed it earlier too.

pmI7zSLij

pnF18NZuj

poPpLZkij

Someone had a "bad day" in Kingston Production line.

MG Clark

Prominent
Jun 30, 2022
Hi, I got to borrow the unit from my sister, but had limited time.

Finally found the problem and probably missed it earlier too.

pmI7zSLij

pnF18NZuj

poPpLZkij

Someone had a "bad day" in Kingston Production line.

I'm no expert, but it looks to me like the one who had the bad day was at the counterfeiter's factory.

The label is very low quality that looks like the blank was printed with an inkjet running out of ink instead of a four color printing press.

The model number on the label is OK, but the model number communicated to the computer is for stick of Kingston 4GB DDR4-2400

Reactions: TheMightySquelch

TheMightySquelch

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
I'm no expert, but it looks to me like the one who had the bad day was at the counterfeiter's factory.

The label is very low quality that looks like the blank was printed with an inkjet running out of ink instead of a four color printing press.

The model number on the label is OK, but the model number communicated to the computer is for stick of Kingston 4GB DDR4-2400

Yeah, found that out too. To think there are semi-reputable outlets in my region that sell these. Sometimes it's getting harder to discern some of these, up until it's too late.