Question Windows 10 Microphone Not Working - Did I Delete A Needed Program?

incmachine

Commendable
Oct 14, 2021
In Windows 10, I was trying to delete every program I thought I didn’t need (using Add / Remove Programs).

But I think I must have deleted something that my headset microphone needs to work.

I was trying to make a phone call with Google Voice, and it will not detect the microphone no matter what I do.

A message in Google Voice says:

Allow mic access​

Click Allow to use your microphone here

In your browser settings, allow Voice to access your microphoneAllow mic accessClick Allow to use your microphone here
In your browser settings, allow Voice to access your microphone​

But I am 100% certain that the web browser and everything has already allowed Mic Access (I have always clicked yes to this)

I have already gone into Device Manager, uninstalled the headset Microphone and Speakers (the headphones) and Scan for New Hardware.

I have also completely un-installed Google Chrome Browser and re-installed, and tried to get this on Microsoft Edge, FireFox, Brave, and Aloha browsers.

I have run every possible Windows Update - nothing worked.

What DID work was when I changed the 2.5 inch SSD (which has an unused version of Windows 10).

I did not change anything else on the system (nothing was even unplugged, nothing else was changed).

Google Voice worked there with no problem.

What could I have deleted to cause this to happen?
How can I fix this without completely re-installing Windows?

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
This is what I'd do:

Test the microphone with a local application, such as Sound Recorder or Camera apps. The Zoom client also has a test function in Settings. If it doesn't work with a local app, then there's a problem at the hardware-driver level.

If it works with a local app, then the problem may just be Permissions settings on the browser. E.g. for Firefox go to Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Permissions, then click on Microphone settings. Add a website domain (e.g. google.com) to the Allow list. Then test again.