Question Will this Noctua fan work on my videocard?

May 3, 2024
Hi,

I want to replace a Gigabyte Nvidia GT 730 stock 3-pin fan with this Noctua 3-pin fan:
https://noctua.at/en/nf-a9-flx

noctua_nf_a9_flx_5.jpg

Noctua size matches the Gigabyte assembly. I can easily fasten the Noctua onto the Gigabyte aluminum heatsink.

If I plug the Noctua directly onto my videocard, will it be speed controlled just like the stock Gigabyte fan?

Videocard with 3-pin plug on board:
https://c1.neweggimages.com/ProductImageCompressAll1280/14-932-480-V04.jpg

Thank You for answering my question.

May 3, 2024
Win10
HP Compaq Pro 6300 MT 320W "High Efficiency" PSU
(added) Samsung (4x4GB) 16GB RAM
(added) i5-3570 3.40Ghz.,
500GB+(added)1TB = two mechanical HDDs.,
(added/extra) M-Audio Audiophile 24/96
(added/extra)Gigabyte Nvidia GT 730.

Clean, de-dusted. Stock HP case cooling. Works nicely. Relatively silent, when idle / browsing internet. All temps are ideal. Even during gaming: GPU = 51--54C. No excess heat is produced by this videocard. No crashes. Works fantastically.

However (standing up) in standard, microtower-standing position the Gigabyte fan is horizontal to the ground and this matters:

Makes loud **Groaning Dinosaur Dying Noises**, when it started in cold / cool room. Also when during gaming or working in 3D app the fan noise increases and is revving horribly: the LOUD NOISE is like when a gas-powered lawn-mower is being revved.

Now, I put the microtower simply on its side, so the Gigabyte videocard+ fan is vertical to the floor. This prevented horrible noises so far.
So I'm experimenting with this position. I also discovered that if I press down the removable metal side of the microtower, - applying about 10 pound force with my hand - even the faint case-vibration noise stops.. and the entire PC turns silent. :cool:

De-dusting the Gigabyte card: I took its fan apart, its motor is encased in heat-soldered plastic, see-through cylinder (which I therefore could not access for oiling/ take off) and I could see some small control electronics PCB there.
Took off the heatsink as well - did multiple de-dustings - and the factory paste is surprisingly intact, so I just screwed the aluminum heatsink back. Gigabyte stock fan can be unmounted as it is held only via plastic clamps to the heatsink. The Fan itself in above pic is also held by a plastic LOCK-IN "clamp" assembly. So I could take it off for de-dusting and put it back.

Noctua Helpdesk replied,
"Since the connector on the stock fan is not a standard fan connector, you would have to buy an adapter to connect our fan to the GPU. Or, you could solder the cables by hand."

Where I'm gonna get such an adapter? :)
I'll need to solder the cables.

So I'm thinking about:
1. cutting the Gigabyte stock cable in the middle
2. cutting 1 Noctua cable (as their noctua_nf_a4x10_flx_manual_en.pdf shows )
3. Soldering the Noctua cables if the colors match?
Gigabyte uses black - red - yellow
Nocuta uses according to their FAQ the same coloring:
https://faqs.noctua.at/en/support/s...57-what-pin-configuration-do-noctua-fans-use-

Crudely soldering them together shouldn't be much of a problem. Then I cover the separate wires with duct tape? Then duct tape the 3 soldered wires together.

I'm guessing simply joining the cables together by hand is not as good as soldering?

Last edited:
Reactions: oliviajackson