Single or Dual Channel for Ryzen 5 1500x

yashas08

Commendable
Apr 16, 2017
Hello everyone ,
I am buying a Ryzen 5 1500x and I will add 16GB DDR4 Ram at 3000 Mhz
There is one single 16GB Ram module from Corsair and then there is one from G.Skill Trident Z 8GB X 2 kit
I am on a budget and the Corsair one is significantly cheaper than the Trident , So will the Ram on dual channel really effect the performance or should i just go with the Corsair one , though I can save some cash to buy the dual channel one
I will be using the computer for gaming

Solution
if you are on the budget, a working i5 build will be cheaper and simpler to build.
ryzen CPUs are very picky when it comes to RAM. And they do require very specific (expensive) RAM to work on high speeds. without high speed RAM, ryzen 5 1500 is mediocre CPU.
So unless you know what you doing, just get an i5 - it will save you time, money and headache
if you are on the budget, a working i5 build will be cheaper and simpler to build.
ryzen CPUs are very picky when it comes to RAM. And they do require very specific (expensive) RAM to work on high speeds. without high speed RAM, ryzen 5 1500 is mediocre CPU.
So unless you know what you doing, just get an i5 - it will save you time, money and headache

Solution

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Go for dual channel whenever possible, however if the single 16GB RAM module is in fact that much cheaper, I wouldn't mind getting that one instead.

I would personally encourage people to try Ryzen more, to be honest. Worst case scenario is that they'll be stuck on DDR4-2133/2667. Or even easier, just suggest them to pick from DDR4-2133/2400 memory as there are no compability issues at those speeds.

I'd not encourage people to do something that is above their skill/knowledge level.
ryzen 5 1500 at 4GHz with over 3000MHz RAM can be comparable with non K i5. Can everyone build such ryzen setup ? NO - it's too complicated. That's why people use windows and macs and not linux.
just check the forums for "ryzen build/performance issues"

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

Ryzen with DDR4-2666 memory and lower works without issues. I find it doesn't make sense to suggest a build with an Intel i5 instead, value wise it just doesn't really compare to either the R5 1400 or 1500X. Even the CPU cooler that is included is a much better looking and performing one.

I mean, you didn't even consider suggesting lower speed memory instead. Intel i5's only benefit is higher IPC, but Ryzen offers much more balance in performance with the extra 4 threads it offers, hence I'd still encourage people to switch.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

Because I believe for most people those 4 extra threads will be more useful than the 6-8 fps difference the Intel i5 makes in games. The majority who aren't really enthusiasts are still on 60/75Hz panels which the R5 1400/1500X does perfectly fine in, in most games when used with DDR4-2133 up to 2666 Mhz.

Mind, that when Ryzen vs. Intel is benchmarked, both platforms benefit from faster memory and both are using 3000+ Mhz memory when compared to each other. It's not like you should count for loss of performance in Ryzen's values and not for Intel's. Ryzen might benefit a bit more, but Intel also really benefits from fast RAM.

Not really cheaper either, more like really comparable to be honest.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.44 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.92 @ Amazon)
Total: $310.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-08 05:40 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($185.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - A320M GRENADE Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($66.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.92 @ Amazon)
Total: $312.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-08 05:42 EDT-0400

you are both correct and a bit wrong.
for non gaming home tasks, even 4 cores are two much. an i3 (or mobile dual core i5/i7) does the job.
gaming wise, i5 is still better and will be better for a couple of years than current 4cores ryzen.
with slower RAM, ryzen suffer significant hit in data exchange between cores. that's how data fabric works. those switches will have really high latency - in gaming translates to micro freezes/stuttering.
on the other hand, for intel, the RAM speed increase from 2400 to 3000 does very little in terms of performance. It's only about raw throughput which is rarely needed IRL.
I already said that performance wise, you need to overclock ryzen 5 to ~4GHz. so put in decent B350 MB and faster ram and there is the difference in price. to have similarly performing (gamin) ryzen build will cost more atm.

Ditt44

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

To answer your question.... Dual channel will be better with your CPU. The kit you chose will be fine. You didn't mention the motherboard you plan to use but you are certain to get 2133 out of the RAM on install, if not 2400. Depending on the motherboard, you may be able to go into the BIOS and set the RAM to 3000 or 3200. Again, depending on the board, you might actually get 3000/3200 out of the box.

As to n0ns3ns3.... bitterness comes to mind and in my opinion, the comments made are as inaccurate as they are jaded. RCFProd makes solid, verifiable points. The Ryzen CPUs are more than capable and stable. Read reviews and do your research and you will find that you are going to be fine. The motherboard is the core of your system, get a good one.