[SOLVED] Single RAM stick is 3200 MHz at CL22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidhalof

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
I have a single ram kit of 32GB 3200Mhz with cas latency of cl22-22-22-52 and i'm planning to buy a second one next month to have a 64GB dual channel memory ... Could this ram wok fine with a Ryzen 9 3900X and a b550 Aorus pro AC firstly with single ram kit and then i will add a second ram stick. Ram Model is Team Group Elite TED432G3200C2201

Solution
Instead of using that stick of ram, I'd advise on selling it and buying a new kit with a tighter latency/timings. 22 is absurd for this day and age especially for the Ryzen platform where tighter timings make a huge difference with them, not to mention the higher ram frequency.

My vote - ditch them.

Lutfij

Titan
Instead of using that stick of ram, I'd advise on selling it and buying a new kit with a tighter latency/timings. 22 is absurd for this day and age especially for the Ryzen platform where tighter timings make a huge difference with them, not to mention the higher ram frequency.

My vote - ditch them.

Reactions: Nidhalof
Solution
Hi Nidhalof.

I agree with the above.

CL22 is horrible and buying 1 stick and mixing that stick with the same brand and model doesn't guarantee it will even work.

A RAM Kit of 2x32 or 4x16 at 3600MHz CL16 is the sweet spot for that 3900X.

Do you even need 64GB of RAM? :)

Nidhalof

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
Hi Nidhalof.

I agree with the above.

CL22 is horrible and buying 1 stick and mixing that stick with the same brand and model doesn't guarantee it will even work.

A RAM Kit of 2x32 or 4x16 at 3600MHz CL16 is the sweet spot for that 3900X.

Do you even need 64GB of RAM? :)
Yes i do heavy rendering and editing and 64 GB of ram is recommended for my work that's why i asked because i already have the 32GB CL22

D

Deleted member 2720853

I agree with everyone else here - get CL16 or less. Ryzen really likes tighter timings with high frequencies such as 3200 CL14 or 3600 CL16.

Also, if you haven't yet bought the B550 Aorus Pro I recommend ditching it for a ROG Strix B550-F, which is around the same price if not cheaper, and better. The B550 Aorus Pro only gave me issues. And the board corrupted its own BIOS after I set a single DRAM timing wrong. Just avoid it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for help i will buy another module with faster CL 16 or 14

Buying another module and not a RAM KIT with 2 sticks together and you might put that other stick in and it won't work. Mixing RAM is a hit or miss.

Imagine buying that RAM stick now and putting it in the system just to see you won't be able to run the XMP profile or the system is unstable because of the mixed RAM.

Not recommended. You need 64GB of RAM same speed, same latency, same timing, same everything. So in the same RAM KIT. You're gonna take a chance by buying that stick alone and installing it with the other one. A lot of time and money to take a risk.

Nidhalof

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
Buying another module and not a RAM KIT with 2 sticks together and you might put that other stick in and it won't work. Mixing RAM is a hit or miss.

Imagine buying that RAM stick now and putting it in the system just to see you won't be able to run the XMP profile or the system is unstable because of the mixed RAM.

Not recommended. You need 64GB of RAM same speed, same latency, same timing, same everything. So in the same RAM KIT. You're gonna take a chance by buying that stick alone and installing it with the other one. A lot of time and money to take a risk.
I replaced it with 2 x 16 of pny epic x rgb 3200 2 x 16 with cas latency of 16 and i think it's way better now, a small change i bought a ryzen 7 3700x instead of the ryzen 9 3900x due to budget limit and a b550 aorus pro and i think they will work perfectly fine together

D

Deleted member 2720853

I replaced it with 2 x 16 of pny epic x rgb 3200 2 x 16 with cas latency of 16 and i think it's way better now, a small change i bought a ryzen 7 3700x instead of the ryzen 9 3900x due to budget limit and a b550 aorus pro and i think they will work perfectly fine together
Hope that board will treat you right. Sure hasn't treated me right.

Status
Not open for further replies.