Site with system recommendations?

OK, have the bug to build another computer now. Before I bug you guys with
detailed questions, are there any sites that have good recommendations for
systems at different price levels? (looking for solid, not bleeding edge).
I like the system recs because they show components that all work together,
removing an extra step of research. TIA

"jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:uy3fe.7784$tf1.425987@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> OK, have the bug to build another computer now. Before I bug you guys with
> detailed questions, are there any sites that have good recommendations for
> systems at different price levels? (looking for solid, not bleeding edge).
> I like the system recs because they show components that all work together,
> removing an extra step of research. TIA

Go to http://www.monarchcomputer.com and use their
system configurer.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

JohnS

There's a few standards right now that you shouldn't
violate. CAUTION: these standards can bring out the
POWER HEADS and KNOWITALLS, and it is up
to you to pick a side. Me .. I build these things every
day, and I have to keep them up and running in my
labs :)

1. Antec case and power supply. I like the SLK1650B.
2. Gigabyte mobo with nVidia chipset .. NOT VIA !!
3. AMD64 ... 1 gig ddr400 Kingston
4. NOT ASUS mobo ... they are rebooters bigtime,
and will not honor warrantys.
5. AOC monitors .. very good prices, and last well.
I like the 19 inch flat screen crt .. with .21 dot pitch.
I have used the 19 inch LCD monitor. It is fine.
6. Sony brand floppy and DVD/CDRW combo. They
seem to be the most tolerant of all the coding styles.
7. I like the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. I've worked with
nVidia cards, and I've never had a problem with them.
If anything, the nVidia cards have smarter drivers.
I can't decide on which brand ... but the 9800 is
kick ass in Far Cry ... once you know how to set it
up ( fast writes off ...apg 4x ).
8. AVOID: the know-it-all sites that build game
computers. They will rip you off, and their computers
are hack. Go to a GAME chat group like the Far Cry
group, and talk to them about what to get.
9. Nice add on: Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150. I really
like mine.
10. WinXP Pro ... spend the money. It is worth it.
You will have a well behaved system that keeps
up with the times.
11. Lan ??? Are you rich? I use a modem at home.
Works fine ... $30 WinModem.
12. McAffee .. Norton ??

johns

"jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> OK, have the bug to build another computer now. Before I bug you guys
> with detailed questions, are there any sites that have good
> recommendations for systems at different price levels?

For the record, I found one very good site.
http://arstechnica.com/guide/system/