Six Low-Noise, Performance-Oriented Cases, Tested

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

the rv03 is out at less $$$ you guys should do a rv02-E vs rv03 round in the cooling side and thats because the rv03 has more fans

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Using a SilverStone Fortress Series FT02B-W here. Basically identical interior design, except in my opinion the exterior is more aesthetically pleasing. Glad to confirm the excellent cooling characteristics.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163161&cm_re=ft02_b-_-11-163-161-_-Product

Another big plus with the Fortress 2 is the inclusion of sound dampening foam on every panel, but to be entirely honest with you, due to the open nature of the case, I'm really not sure how much sound it's actually dampening.

xmaswraith

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
34.5 gigahertz? 34.5 gigahertz? Great Scott!

Marty, I'm sorry. But the only power source capable of generating 34.5 gigahertz of electricity is a bolt of lightning... (begin back to the future theme song!)

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I bet they were overclocking from Pluto.[/citation]

Didn't you watch the news? Astronomers sent a dwarf in a rocket to remove Pluto so it doesn't exist anymore.

madsbs

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Yet, as a gaming case, the Raven 2 Evolution may not fulfill the aesthetic or storage needs of some computing professionals

madsbs

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
"Yet, as a gaming case, the Raven 2 Evolution may not fulfill the aesthetic or storage needs of some computing professionals"

This conclusion makes no sense. Why do "computing professional gamers" need storage.
And further the case holds 5 HDDs. That's 1 SSD + 4x2TB of storage.

G

Sonata - top mounted PSU = no go, especially for semi passive ones.

Fractal or Raven? This is harder one.

VirtualMirage

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
The specs on page one for the Fractal Design Define XL are wrong. The intake fan is 140mm, not 120mm. There is room for 2 140mm intake fans plus a 120mm intake fan. The specs list incorrectly shows it as one 120mm fan with an alternative for three 120mm fans.

Petey1013

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
[citation][nom]madsbs[/nom]"Yet, as a gaming case, the Raven 2 Evolution may not fulfill the aesthetic or storage needs of some computing professionals"This conclusion makes no sense. Why do "computing professional gamers" need storage. And further the case holds 5 HDDs. That's 1 SSD + 4x2TB of storage.[/citation]

You mean 5x2TB. It holds 5 HDDs and a SSD.

Also, the FT02, although more expensive, should have been used due to the extra sound dampening material.

G

This is unusual for Tom's...an inconclusive review on poorly chosen hardware.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
I'd rate the Bitfinix, Lian Li and Silverstone for having the best aesthetics. Antec's design placing the PSU at the top is anachronistic: heating the top of the case. Silverstone's idiosyncratic design produces the best cooling at the price of more noise. None of these cases give me a second thought about going with the Corsair 600T.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I would love an article about how to "make it yourself".

Do a case with good electromagnetic and noise insulation. With good cooling.

What materials are better? Is electromagnetic insulation that important? (so, is necessary a conductive -metallic- case?)

how do you solve the precise location of backward holes (for motherboard, and boards).

how do you make the holes for different form factors (hint: there are standards)

etc. there is a lot to talk. You can make a cheap case much better than the trademark garbage sold.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
This is unusual for Tom's...an inconclusive review on poorly chosen hardware.

Please read the article - Tom's asked the manufactures to send it what THEY were "pushing" as the low-sound cases (i.e. what the manufacturers were "pushing" as low-sound).

But as was found, one that wasn't even being pushed as low-sound, ended up being the lowest.

Now I think they should've ran the comparison with the newest AMD Jet Engine..... ;-)

mattmock

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Luay[/nom]RV-03 pushes more air and cools better than the 02, but it's also louder.[/citation]
The problem with the rv03 is the 180cm limit on the PSU. My Enermax 1050w wouldn't fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.