Review SK Hynix Gold P31 M.2 NVMe SSD Review: High-performance, Unprecedented Efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Some nits to picK pick (because, clearly, I'm more likely to fumble when I'm pointing out someone else's fumbles)
  • Spec table column headers both say 1TB, the first one should be 500GB (or 512?)
  • Paragraph below spec table says "though the 500GB model suffers a minimal performance loss with a write speed that is 100MBps lower" but the table shows the 500GB model having a faster sequential write speed. Which one is correct?
That aside - I'm definitely intrigued that it's competitive speed-wise, and manages that impressive level of power efficiency. I think this one might be on my list for a future PC.

Last edited:

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
Thanks, I actually saw that too not too long ago and already alert the team on the errors. The write speeds should be swapped. 3,200 on the 1TB and 3,100 on the 500GB. Correction should go live shortly.

Reactions: King_V

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
One more possible point of contention.

The article states that the P31 Gold does not support AES-256.

But SK Hynix's own website for the P31 gold states that it does:
https://skhynix.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/folders/48000658600#faq_title
"All SSDs from SK hynix come with the AES 256-bit encryption feature. "

I have seen manufacturer's documentation be wrong, but is there any way to test to see if it does or not?
Nice find. This wasn't posted nor articulated at the time of publishing. We will update to include this.

Apr 10, 2020
And what is benefit for user in using 128 layers SSD? Nothing! Drives even cheaper to produce are not cheaper then any other.
Why then?

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
This thread has been reopened due to the article update
Thank you.

Anyone know what changed in the new firmware. I skimmed the article and must have missed it. Also it appears not to affect the 1TB drive since those numbers were not updated. I know the 500GB page was updated but what were the original benchmarks for that drive?

Jul 23, 2021
Who cares if it has a green PCB?
I put it in my laptop, put the bottom back on and it is not visible.
The desktop another is going in has no glass panel.
It could have a hot pink PCB or baby poo yellow PCB and I would not care, the efficiency and performance is all that matters.

Jul 23, 2021
What I would like to know is are they comparing it to the ADATA SX8200 Pro that was provided as an early reviewer sample or the lower spec version actually being sold retail?

t-dome

Commendable
Aug 23, 2021
Why are there such huge differences between the 1 TB and the 2 TB models in Final Fantasy (9 s vs. 12 s)? What test system was used for the 1 TB benchmarks?

Status
Not open for further replies.