Skill focus and fighter skills

According to the manual, skill focus gives a +3 on a skill. Knockdown
is an attack at a -4. So, if I get skill focus with knockdown, does it
mean that my knockdown will only have a penalty of -1 ?

Should I use skill focus with other fighter related skills like,
disarm, called shot and so on . . .

On 4 Sep 2005 20:40:05 -0700, richmarin@earthlink.net wrote:

>According to the manual, skill focus gives a +3 on a skill. Knockdown
>is an attack at a -4. So, if I get skill focus with knockdown, does it
>mean that my knockdown will only have a penalty of -1 ?
>
>Should I use skill focus with other fighter related skills like,
>disarm, called shot and so on . . .

Knockdown is a feat.
Skill focus only works on skills.

eudas
Inside of every silver lining, there's a big, dark cloud.

eudas wrote:
> On 4 Sep 2005 20:40:05 -0700, richmarin@earthlink.net wrote:
>

>>According to the manual, skill focus gives a +3 on a skill. Knockdown
>>is an attack at a -4. So, if I get skill focus with knockdown, does it
>>mean that my knockdown will only have a penalty of -1 ?
>>
>>Should I use skill focus with other fighter related skills like,
>>disarm, called shot and so on . . .
>

> Knockdown is a feat.
> Skill focus only works on skills.

Disarm and called shot are feats as well.

On 4 Sep 2005 20:40:05 -0700, richmarin@earthlink.net wrote:

>According to the manual, skill focus gives a +3 on a skill. Knockdown
>is an attack at a -4. So, if I get skill focus with knockdown, does it
>mean that my knockdown will only have a penalty of -1 ?
>
>Should I use skill focus with other fighter related skills like,
>disarm, called shot and so on . . .

I don't think it would work but I haven't tried it. You're making an
attack roll, not a skill roll.

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 02:34:46 -0400, John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com>
wrote:

>Disarm and called shot are feats as well.

Yes, and to my knowledge you can't Skill Focus those, either.

eudas wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 02:34:46 -0400, John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Disarm and called shot are feats as well.
>

> Yes, and to my knowledge you can't Skill Focus those, either.

No, that would be weird. :)

<richmarin@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> According to the manual, skill focus gives a +3 on a skill. Knockdown
> is an attack at a -4. So, if I get skill focus with knockdown, does it
> mean that my knockdown will only have a penalty of -1 ?
>
> Should I use skill focus with other fighter related skills like,
> disarm, called shot and so on . . .

Can't, they aren't skills.

The only fighter abilities you can take skill focus with are Parry and
Discipline.

I'm going through the original campaign again* and my Monk9 has parry at 22
(12 skill + 3 Dex + 4 IP + 3 SF-P) AND Greater Gloves of Swordplay, and I
STILL never use parry. Last time I tried it against the first werewolf in
chapter 2 I found out he had FOUR attacks per round, and I could only parry
two. I used Improved Expertise instead. I took out the Flesh Golem in
Wanev's cottage the same way. It takes forever.

* First time I took a straight Cleric, got bored and quit at the start of
chapter 3, it was always the same- Buffs, Summon, break heads.

The I tried a Fighter-6, Weapon Master-N, got bored again. Always the same-
hit it with a great sword.

Then I tried Fighter-4 (yes, so I could get specialization) Monk-N.
Realized it would take forever to get the really cool Monk abilities (magic
resistance and d20 unarmed attack)

Now it's straight Monk time. This time it's more fun, he has a ton of
combat options (expertise, improved expertise, improved knockdown, power
attack, stunning fist, parry) that I actually USE.

Don't bother using stunning fist against fighters or clerics, but it works
pretty well against mages.

Loren Pechtel wrote:
> On 4 Sep 2005 20:40:05 -0700, richmarin@earthlink.net wrote:
>

>>According to the manual, skill focus gives a +3 on a skill. Knockdown
>>is an attack at a -4. So, if I get skill focus with knockdown, does it
>>mean that my knockdown will only have a penalty of -1 ?
>>
>>Should I use skill focus with other fighter related skills like,
>>disarm, called shot and so on . . .
>

> I don't think it would work but I haven't tried it. You're making an
> attack roll, not a skill roll.

Yes, Skill Focus is applied to one skill you choose when you take
it, not a feat. You choose it if, say, you really need to be able to
make a Persuade roll your skill total is inadequate to.

TRENDING THREADS