Skills Assesment?

Hi --

We are a mid-sized company that hires a fair amount of temporary staff
during the summer. One problem in the past has been a new hire overstating
his or her degree of computer literacy and so we are looking for a mechanism
to test individuals as to their actual degree of computer expetise. Can
anyone recommend software that may be available to test a persons computer
skill level?

We are looking specifically for Windows XP general knowledge as well as
Internet use (we run a web based application that runs in IE 6) and Word
2003 knowledge.

I've surfed the web but most of what I've found seems to be more geared
either toward programming or administrator skills.

Thanks,

Rich

Here's what you need to do. Go to start, run type cmd. Then type format c:
and you should be all set.

Richard Morey wrote:
> Hi --
>
> We are a mid-sized company that hires a fair amount of temporary staff
> during the summer. One problem in the past has been a new hire overstating
> his or her degree of computer literacy and so we are looking for a mechanism
> to test individuals as to their actual degree of computer expetise. Can
> anyone recommend software that may be available to test a persons computer
> skill level?
>
> We are looking specifically for Windows XP general knowledge as well as
> Internet use (we run a web based application that runs in IE 6) and Word
> 2003 knowledge.
>
> I've surfed the web but most of what I've found seems to be more geared
> either toward programming or administrator skills.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

I would make a list of some of the common task used on a daily basis
at your company. Then as part of the interview I would ask them to
perform these tasks on a test machine. Focus on the most important
tasks. If the person needs to be able to pull a list of names and
addresses from a data base and then do a mail merge in Word, have them
do it. If they need to FTP to the website and upload files, set up a
test site and have them do it. This way you know for sure that they
can perform the desired tasks.

gls858

Many colleges offer computer competency certification for
different skill levels with Windows and OFFICE. Companies
such as Manpower have qualification tests.
Do you want office clerks to do data entry or a low level
geek to keep your computers running?

Contact the schools that claim to tech computer skills,
local colleges and even high schools. No need on your part
to reinvent the wheel.
Simple test for the people with a certificate...
1. Have them write a business letter/job application using
WORD, applying for your job.
2. Have them create a report using EXCEL and ACCESS with a
table and graph from dummy data similar to what your company
uses.
If they can do that they are skilled enough and you can
judge their level of skill if you are smart enough to do it
yourself.

--
Merry Christmas
Have a Safe and Happy New Year
"Richard Morey" <rwmorey71@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Hi --
|
| We are a mid-sized company that hires a fair amount of
temporary staff
| during the summer. One problem in the past has been a new
hire overstating
| his or her degree of computer literacy and so we are
looking for a mechanism
| to test individuals as to their actual degree of computer
expetise. Can
| anyone recommend software that may be available to test a
persons computer
| skill level?
|
| We are looking specifically for Windows XP general
knowledge as well as
| Internet use (we run a web based application that runs in
IE 6) and Word
| 2003 knowledge.
|
| I've surfed the web but most of what I've found seems to
be more geared
| either toward programming or administrator skills.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Rich

Hi --

I've thought about that as one method, but we'd like to score the candidates
as objectively as possible because, although we hire many minorities, we
would like to make sure we are not accused of discrimination.

Thanks,

Rich

"gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Richard Morey wrote:
>> Hi --
>>
>> We are a mid-sized company that hires a fair amount of temporary staff
>> during the summer. One problem in the past has been a new hire
>> overstating his or her degree of computer literacy and so we are looking
>> for a mechanism to test individuals as to their actual degree of computer
>> expetise. Can anyone recommend software that may be available to test a
>> persons computer skill level?
>>
>> We are looking specifically for Windows XP general knowledge as well as
>> Internet use (we run a web based application that runs in IE 6) and Word
>> 2003 knowledge.
>>
>> I've surfed the web but most of what I've found seems to be more geared
>> either toward programming or administrator skills.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rich
>>

> I would make a list of some of the common task used on a daily basis
> at your company. Then as part of the interview I would ask them to
> perform these tasks on a test machine. Focus on the most important
> tasks. If the person needs to be able to pull a list of names and
> addresses from a data base and then do a mail merge in Word, have them
> do it. If they need to FTP to the website and upload files, set up a test
> site and have them do it. This way you know for sure that they
> can perform the desired tasks.
>
> gls858

A small Google search turned up the following:
http://www.workforce.com/archive/feature/22/16/72/223876.php

I don't know anything about them but the Google description seemed to fall
into the area you are seeking. You need to set up a user name and password
to use their resources but they say use of the service is free.

You also might look into books or manuals used in the study for tests for
various computer credentials, a lot of book stores and certainly a computer
book store should have them. They should contain practice tests that might
be useful in determining a person's level of competence. Actually, they
probably are more than what you are seeking but you might be able to modify
the tests to suit your needs.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

> Hi --
>
> I've thought about that as one method, but we'd like to score the
> candidates as objectively as possible because, although we hire many
> minorities, we would like to make sure we are not accused of
> discrimination.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich
>
> "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Richard Morey wrote:
>>> Hi --
>>>
>>> We are a mid-sized company that hires a fair amount of temporary staff
>>> during the summer. One problem in the past has been a new hire
>>> overstating his or her degree of computer literacy and so we are looking
>>> for a mechanism to test individuals as to their actual degree of
>>> computer expetise. Can anyone recommend software that may be available
>>> to test a persons computer skill level?
>>>
>>> We are looking specifically for Windows XP general knowledge as well as
>>> Internet use (we run a web based application that runs in IE 6) and Word
>>> 2003 knowledge.
>>>
>>> I've surfed the web but most of what I've found seems to be more geared
>>> either toward programming or administrator skills.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Rich
>>>

>> I would make a list of some of the common task used on a daily basis
>> at your company. Then as part of the interview I would ask them to
>> perform these tasks on a test machine. Focus on the most important
>> tasks. If the person needs to be able to pull a list of names and
>> addresses from a data base and then do a mail merge in Word, have them
>> do it. If they need to FTP to the website and upload files, set up a test
>> site and have them do it. This way you know for sure that they
>> can perform the desired tasks.
>>
>> gls858

Wow, what a big help you are. Thanks for the feedback. Its people like you
with your great advice that makes this newsgroup worth reading.

Or maybe not..

"Carch" <d@sddf.com> wrote in message
> Here's what you need to do. Go to start, run type cmd. Then type format c:
> and you should be all set.

How do you figure that they would "be all set"?

This will do nothing except give an error message. XP will not cut it's own
throat no matter how hard you try (in other words, you can't format the C
drive (or other system drive) in XP from within XP. You need to boot with
the XP CD or a Win 9X boot disk. With the 9X boot disk you first have to
remove the NTFS partition if there is one and then recreate it and format.)

"Carch" <d@sddf.com> wrote in message
> Here's what you need to do. Go to start, run type cmd. Then type format c:
> and you should be all set.

But in XP C Drive may not be a boot or system drive. Then one can do it. XP only defaults to calling it C, it can call it other letters. And under the hood there are no drive letters in XP anyway - that's a windows convention.

http://www.uscricket.com
"LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message news:10sk9ni30sq2ja7@corp.supernews.com...
> How do you figure that they would "be all set"?
>
> This will do nothing except give an error message. XP will not cut it's own
> throat no matter how hard you try (in other words, you can't format the C
> drive (or other system drive) in XP from within XP. You need to boot with
> the XP CD or a Win 9X boot disk. With the 9X boot disk you first have to
> remove the NTFS partition if there is one and then recreate it and format.)
>

> "Carch" <d@sddf.com> wrote in message
>> Here's what you need to do. Go to start, run type cmd. Then type format c:
>> and you should be all set.

Yes, that's why I also said "(or other system drive)".