Skyrim WILL Support DirectX 11, But Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
I don't really care, considering how absolutely awesome the screenshots and videos on their website look already...

I'm actually pumped for this release. Haven't said that in a long time. :D

"The two most requested features we get are dragons and multiplayer," Howard said. "We got one of them this time! We always look into multiplayer, put lots of ideas on the whiteboard, and it always loses. It's not that we don't like it. I can think of ways it would be a lot of fun, but at the end of the day, that dev time is going to take away from doing the best single player game we can, and that's where our hearts are."
YES! I love you! Prioritizing... what absolutely all the rest of the games industry sucks at.

AkIRA_22

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Yes It's awesome that they are not doing because they really want to make teh SP the best they can, or haven't found a way to implement MP so it's perfect. But how awesome would 3-4 player co-op be?

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
I can't imagine how bad oblivion would have been had they taken away dev time for anything else... it felt like they'd all been writing plots and doing the voice acting on their dearest comrade breaks as it was!

Unperson

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I'm sporting dual GTX470s (SLI) so this is good news for me. DA2 let me down, still have fingers crossed for Witcher 2, but Skyrim.. ..I'll use my remaining vacation days when it hits the shelves.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"Our graphics work centers around doing things that will look the same regardless of platform, and sometimes that implementation will be different on the 360, PS3, and PC."

and that is why there will never be ANY progress in graphics for ANY game platform EVER again...

this is piss weak developers!! where do you think the inspiration for a new console comes from???

THATS RIGHT! PC GRAPHICS KICKING THEIR ASS!!

the new dual core graphics cards out by both manufacturers are THIRTEEN TIMES more powerful than the ones in the consoles!

but this is exactly what sony and microsoft wants, they don't want to sell you a new console every 5 years... they are expensive for them to make! they just want to sit back and reap the royalties from all the games now!

it is a sad, sad state of affairs...

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]toastninja17[/nom]Too bad I still don't have a PC that's capable of running this./pissed[/citation]

if you could run anything that was released in the past 5 years you probably could run it...considering there wasn't much development in the past five years because of something...wonder what that might be...

genghiskhanid

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
if you could run anything that was released in the past 5 years you probably could run it...considering there wasn't much development in the past five years because of something...wonder what that might be...

hehe I like this!

Honestly, DA2 with the extra texture dl did things right. Sucky outdated 5-8 year old graphics to be workable on console (xbox360, ps3) but with a pc texture pack for up to date technologies... Bethesda should consider that. Actually, imo the best of both worlds.

To be honest, this is one type of game where I am not angry at them not using the newest and best graphics - as long as they spent all of the time they saved working on the plot!

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
It took 1 guy a little over a year to hack oblivion so that it had co-op. You can't tell me Bethesda's team of uber-programmers with intimate knowledge of the game engine find co-op to be "too hard".

No, ladies and gentlemen, what he really means to say is "well, we know people want co-op mode. . . but fuck em. We're launching The Elder Scrolls Online sometime in the future, and we don't want to jeopardize it's player base (that pays us $15 a month).

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]It took 1 guy a little over a year to hack oblivion so that it had co-op. You can't tell me Bethesda's team of uber-programmers with intimate knowledge of the game engine find co-op to be "too hard". No, ladies and gentlemen, what he really means to say is "well, we know people want co-op mode. . . but fuck em. We're launching The Elder Scrolls Online sometime in the future, and we don't want to jeopardize it's player base (that pays us $15 a month).[/citation]
The programming side of it is easy. You could hack multiplayer into anything you wanted, really. That's not the issue.

The issue is making it balanced. How do you make the game fun for both players instead of the higher level running around and destroying everything in sight while the low level just watches? What happens when a player joins a game with a quest active that they've already finished? Or one they shouldn't be able to do yet? What if it's at a story-fork and one player went one way and another went the opposite? On top of that, how do you sync quest progress so both players get credit when they actually do quests they should both be doing?

Adding support to just let each other run around is an easy mod. It's making the gameplay good that's the hard part.

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
None of the comments here seem to get the gist of Todd Howard's statement. C'mon people, he's using some pretty slick / convoluted talk, but he basically said:

"We'd love to push DirectX 11 and make Skyrim GORGEOUS on the PC... but it would deter our console buyers. So, we're going to hold back the PC's visuals in the interest of console sales."

This is exactly what Crytek did. DX11 isn't crap if they allow the mode, but implement none of the features. I don't know why these game companies insult the PC gamers that made them successful in the first place. This is why Battlefield 3 is still gonna be the only game I pre-order.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
"The two most requested features we get are dragons and multiplayer," Howard said. "We got one of them this time! We always look into multiplayer, put lots of ideas on the whiteboard, and it always loses. It's not that we don't like it. I can think of ways it would be a lot of fun, but at the end of the day, that dev time is going to take away from doing the best single player game we can, and that's where our hearts are."

play a game called rune, make oblivion multiplayer like that, and we will love it.

but my biggest concern is that brethersta, a company that couldn't produce an engine that plays at good and stable frame rates (a quad core, 4gb ram, win7, hd 4950 or 4850 cant remember which, bogs down in the 5-7fps range at 1920x1200) FAR TO OFTEN on an unmodded version. they couldnt come up with a good dx9 version of their engine, and they are thinking of 11 on a new one? ARE THEY HIGH

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
and their complaining about 3rd person... how crappy a developer do you have to be to not be able to make a 3rd person mode function right along with a first person... ITS NOT HARD... MY GOD

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
and btw, if you mark your comment as 'Negative', it seems it automatically assigns you -1 thumbs down. I wish Tom's would fix the voting thing.

skaz

Distinguished
- "he told IGN in an interview. "Our graphics work centers around doing things that will look the same regardless of platform,"

Well that right there just ruined it for me. =(

G

Skyrim (aka Oblivion 2: Port from the Console)

levitation was one of the best things about Morrowind, alongside the freedom and variety of items. who cares about dragons, just dont give me bland, limited spells and 3 types of generic item sets

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
"Our graphics work centers around doing things that will look the same regardless of platform"

So if something looks like crap on consoles, it has to look like crap on PC too.

[citation][nom]martel80[/nom]RPG is about role-playing, not about watching graphics. You have Crysis for that.[/citation]

Graphics may not be as important as role-playing in an RPG but they are part of the experience.

the elder scrolls previous to this (morrowing and oblivion) had great graphics and really stressed out the latest pc's. Its a little disappointing that they want it to look the same across platforms, oblivion and morrowind were primarily pc games and oblivion was only pushed to console afterward.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
"Our graphics work centers around doing things that will look the same regardless of platform, and sometimes that implementation will be different on the 360, PS3, and PC."

Ugh, why not just call it Crysis 2.5 then? Hopefully the heavy modding community will come out with HD textures and other nice looking mods.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
So, what their REALLY saying is, once again, my crossfire setup will be useless overkill and I will get 80fps+ on all settings maxed.
I guess I should just get a 30" ips or eyefinity so I can actually put my money to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.