SLI / CrossFire FAQs

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so. Why does your 8800GT share system memory? This is for cards that are onboard, or turbo cache type cards, not cards with their own dedicated ram. I also don't understand where the 1791MB comes from.

Ironnads, can you link what you quoted please? Perhaps it makes more sense if there is more context involved. I do know what I wrote though. Each individual card is limited to the ram that it has, it can't use the other cards ram. (although if they are turbo cache cards or use system ram, then they have what ram in onboard plus whatever system ram they are allowed to have. Why you would want to SLI TC cards I'll never know...)

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

VISTA
Did you ever hear of it?
Did you read what I posted?
"dedicated graphics memory 512mb"
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphicsmemory.mspx

Yes I did read what you said, you never mentioned vista. You also said it was the result of the local ram along with the shared system memory. I do admit that vista might have changed things, rather then act like the @$$ you have proved yourself to be, why don't you KINDLY (ever hear of that?) explain to us how vista works differently? Why would vista use system ram for the video card?

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
1.The explanation is in the link I posted, dated Jan 2007 by Microsoft
2.Your insults mean nothing to me, I am not the one with a vendetta
3.If you want to discuss facts that's fine. I do provide documentation for what I post
4.I only replied with facts about your mis-statement in the midst of your attack of the OP's sticky thread

Maziar, it has come to my attention that I was attacking your post. I thought I was pointing out areas that needed a bit more work before this was stickied. My apologies if your feelings were hurt, though I suspect I was mislead.

No problem mate :) i'm always open to suggestions
don't get me wrong with that, i was just saying if there is something not related to this topic, then talk about it somewere else not in this thread
thanks again and sorry if i talked in a bad way :)

No, not you. Someone else in this thread a couple of posts above this thought I was attacking your sticky. I was simply critiquing what you wrote. Seeing as you didn't feel attacked, I wonder if that means I don't have a vendetta... (don't worry, last time I'm going off topic in this thread.)

You have a good idea Maziar. I hope you can make the changes and get this going. Feel free to PM if you need any help.

tvh

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Before I begin I want to let you know that I understand that SLI really shows its power in resolutions above 1680x1050. My question that I have deals with AA and other goodies that can be enabled on video settings. My question is that even though I have a SLI system with two 8800GT's 512MB and running a resolution of 1680x1050, would it be beneficial to have the SLI setup to help with the AA and such or would it be little or no difference? So is SLI specifically limited to resolution? Other then in terms of resolutions, would it help in any eye-candy goodies?

Well yes SLI will help you to use some eye-candy (AntiAliasing....)but in some games like Company Of Heroes or Crysis , you wont see a very noticeable difference between a high AA or 0 AA, well as i said SLI performs good in low resolutions too ,but it shines in high resolutions, thats why i recommend SLI for someone who plays at 1920x1200 or higher, for 1680x1050 , a single card is enough.

DanRohland

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Hi I am new to this so correct me if I am wrong, but I do not completly agree with your quote about that crossfire is for AMD/ATI or have I misunderstood? Asus Crosshair motherboard is amd and that is sli ready? If I misunderstood please correct me as I want to learn more about this sli and crossfire buisness as that would be my next upgrade once I understand it correctly

The first thing you need to remember is that AMD bought ATI. To be correct, if you want to refer to ATI cards, you should call them AMD cards. This can lead to confusion however, as you have discovered.

CF is how you use two AMD together. SLI is how you use two Nvidia cards together. It is possible to use an AMD CPU, but have SLI enabled. You can tell which is possible by looking at the chipset. If the chipset is from AMD or Intel, it supports CF. If the chipset is from Nvidia, it supports SLI. (not all chipset, just those that support SLI/CF.) I'm not sure if Via, SiS, etc support either of these. Hope that helps.

Did you edit that post, or the first one? The first one still has errors on it. You still have the
What about brands ?
Well the brand doesnt matter , again for example , you can use XFX card with EVGA card , or SAPPHIRE card with
DIAMOND card , just make sure they have the same memory and same clocks.
problem, and you are still missing that ending ). You can't say to make sure you get the same memory and clocks while just above that saying memory can be halved and clock rates reduced.

yes they need to have the same clocks, because as i have said if they dont have the same clocks or memories then the faster one will reduce its clocks to reach the lower one

The best option is that u use 2 cards with exact clocks, but if u dont then it wont perform good and the faster one will operate @ the speeds that the lower one has

yes they need to have the same clocks, because as i have said if they dont have the same clocks or memories then the faster one will reduce its clocks to reach the lower one

If they can reduce the clocks, then they don't NEED to have the same clocks. It is the BEST option to have exact clocks, but only because you are then getting what you payed for. Doesn't need to be, but if you want to keep your 7900GS XXX running at the speed you bought, you need another 7900GS XXX.

The reason why I bring this up is because anyone who might read this might be in a situation. If you bought a 7900GS XXX and want to move to SLI, what if you can't find another 7900GS XXX? If I was reading this FAQ, I would be happy to hear I could buy any 7900GS, and SLI would still work.

indeed u are,(no joke) i have learned lots of things from you and other guys here.
Remember the PSU and the GPU questions i had and u helped me alot in there and i never forget when someone helps me in the problems i have(Even this PC problems ) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS