SLI / CrossFire FAQs

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oh SoS

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Another thing to add:

Neither SLI or CrossFire will support the use of multiple monitors when enabled!

This means you will have to disable the feature in order to get multiple monitor display (and enabling or disabling the feature typically requires a reboot).

Oh SoS

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007

nope, you do not need a restart with CF, even my ancient setup does not need that, all you need to do is disable it through the CCC, i have to do it with certain games, well CoH and dawn of war only(damn relic) and also if i want to rotate my display to portrait mode as forums like toms display better especially when they get changed and don't expand to fill the damn screen.(hint, hint Toms.)

I said "typically"...heh.

I haven't owned an ATI card in over a decade, but I know from personal experience that disabling/enable SLI often requires a restart...it seems to be dependent on the amount of virtual memory & ram in use.
And for someone who tends to leave the computer running w/ anti-virus running 24/7, rebooting (and clearing the virtual memory & ram) is not necessarily a bad thing...just kind of annoying when I want to go from playing a game to watching a movie on my big screen.

hassa

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007

Crossfirex will support more then one monitor in CrossFire mode (sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet)

First of all again thank you 4745454b and also strangestr anger for helping me in this thread.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3151&p=4

Aside from potential performance scalability, there is also the capability to support up to 8 monitors from one system with 4 graphics cards installed. While this isn't as universally desired, it could be something fun to play with. We don't currently have a platform solution that we can use to test this yet, but we will certainly test this when we are able.

http://www.hothardware.com/articles/R680_Has_Landed_ATI_Radeon_HD_3870_X2/?page=2

Also note that the 3870 X2 has only a single CrossFire edge connector along the top of its PCB. It has only one because the other connection is already utilized on the PCB. Although the Radeon HD 3870 X2 is equipped with a CrossFire connector, at this time drivers are not available that will allow end users to link two of these cards together for quad-GPU CrossFireX. Those drivers are coming though.

Oh SoS

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
So you'd have to get an AMD mobo and 4 cards to get mutli-monitor support out of CrossFire X?

I'll pass.
but at least I can get 2 cards and not have to deal w/ the stupid dongle anymore, yeah?

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Well I found an error right off the bat. You say that CrossfireX requires a motherboard with four PCIe slots. This is not true, My Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5 supports CrossfireX with only two slots. How? Well you can use two 3870X2 cards on this board and then you have CrossfireX.

There is also a DFI board with the 790FX chipset that supports CrossfireX and it only has three PCIe slots.

circeseye

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
a couple things to fix on your post. where you discribed all the cards in each series
1. the 3870gx2 is NOT 2 cards (like nvidea) . its 2 gpus on one card
2. you do not need a crossfire edition card with the 2xxx and 3xxx series cards all cards in the series can crossfire. if memory serves the 1950 i believe didnt need it eather but the 1900 and down does

other then the little fixes good post. :D

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
circesey is correct, 1800 and 1900 series cards needed a Crossfire Master card and it connected to the second card with a Dongle cable between the two cards on the outside of the case. The did away with that with the 1950 cards.

The 3870X2 sort of works like two 1900's but instead it has the Crossfire chip between the two GPU's on the one card and this chip is identical to the chip used on the 1900 Crossfire Master card.

I have to agree with Maziar on this one....it IS 2 cards since if it was just 2 gpus on one card they would not need video ram for each gpu...just one set of ram for both.....they are just crossfire on a stick. so its JUST like nvidia.

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

1 card

http://en.expreview.com/2007/12/16/r680-pcb-and-stock-cooler-leak-pics/

http://www.quantum-force.net/tutorials/T000000006/

I disagree with Maz and nuke. The 3870x2 has only one PCB, hence it is one card. The 9800GX2 has two PCBs, so it is two cards. You can argue against this all you want, but there is only one PCB.

In the grand scheme of things, who cares. Be aware that each uses SLI/CF, and each card has its own benefits/draw backs. Whether it is one card or two doesn't really matter that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts