SLI / CrossFire FAQs

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swede69

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Well I think everyone who owns AMD garbage, knows that Crossfire sucks.....
On the other hand, Nvidia Sli is a MONSTER right now with the newest drivers!!!'
I can vouche for Nvidia, they do really well with Sli, vs AMD's X-fire.

P.S. the 8350FX does not rock......it does not even roll......
Check this horrid benchmark out- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX6N9uJtzPA

Both AMD and Nvidia have made many improvements over the years with multi-gpu
Do you have some current AMD cards in crossfire to vouch for AMD being garbage?

Both companies have had issues. Its not like it took Nvidia over a year to get stable Vista drivers to users who bought expensive GTX 8800 cards or anything? Blame the OS as much as you want, it was a driver issue.

Please take the trolling elsewhere.

The Kasafist

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Not sure if anyone would catch this but..I heard that the 1000 series Nvidia cards may actually have VRAM unity for the first time. If the OP would like to keep tabs on this information and confirm its authenticity in 2015 (I know it's a bit of a ways out) then he can make a change about video cards not stacking VRAM. There might possibly be a chance that the new 1000 series will stack VRAM in SLI and Dual GPUs!

It would be very interesting to stack memory, but would need a rather high bandwidth link from card to card so data can be swapped back and forth.

SLI connectors currently seem to have 1gigabit/sec of bandwidth so not remotely enough to feed a card as fast as its own memory controller or even pci-e.

The Kasafist

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

I hear ya! I hope they happen to actually find a way to pull it off so that gaming can benefit assuming of course this does happen and said rumor turns out to be true. I just figured it would be nice to give everyone the heads up so we're not all surprised and can properly keep an eye out for this possibility. I wonder how they would go about trying to make this happen anyhow?!
:bounce:

8350rocks

Distinguished
AMD's hUMA is going a different direction where CPU/GPU can share resources in system memory, and ideally, in VRAM as well. Though, AMD are already moving toward HBM and other things for the GPUs to increase bandwidth. All the while they are increasing compression to make more use of the bandwidth they have access to, and things are looking pretty bright at this point on that front, some game changing things should be coming forward in the next 12-18 months on all fronts for them across the board.

ManThunder

Honorable
Aug 5, 2014
I want to add a second 760 into my build can i pair a Gainward Geforce GTX 760 Phantom 2GB with a MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming Edition OC 2GB? or any other 760 of my choosing?
thanks

MrPrecious

Reputable
Nov 18, 2014
hello guys, i have a question for all of you.
if you had to buy a high end gaming pc would go for 2 gtx 980 or 3 r9 290(x)?
thank you for your answers

8350rocks

Distinguished
Yes, you can CF those R9-280X cards.

It is good you have them as the same manufacturer as well. My only recommendation would be to keep the clockspeeds as close as possible if you can. Other than that...good luck and have fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.