SLI / CrossFire FAQs

Page 45 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick Kan

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
I have a problem with AMD crossfire. Currently, I am using both HD 5770 graphic cards.

Whenever I start my games like MW3, CS:GO, Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2, the screen went black and I can only hear the games running with sound. However, when I disable the crossfire mode, everything went back normal (playable w/o black screen)

While for normal internet surfing and photoshop editing with the enable of crossfire, there is no issue at all.

How can I resolve this issue? Below is my spec:

Processor:
Intel i7 860

Mainboard:
Asus P7P55D Deluxe

Graphics Card:
Asus ATI 5770 x 2

Memory:
Kingston DD3 1333 4x2GB

Storage Drive:
Seagate Sata 500GB

Power Supply:
Corair 620W

Operating System:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits

You should ensure that both cards work by them selves(remove one and run it for a bit and then try the other one). When you are in Windows using Photoshop, I do not think you are placing any stress on the second card(it is just like running a single card).

You may very well have a defective card(thus testing each).

You also have to ensure you have the latest drivers and profiles for the card.

tazz85

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hi, I want to setup 4x AMD HD7850 PowerColor on CrossfireX for mining/bitcoin using the following configuration
Intel Pentium E5200 2.5GHz
4GB DDR2
ASUS P5K-E/WiFi AP
Chieftec 760W APS
Windows 7 64-bit

So far, Windows recognized up to 3 cards, I'm stuck. With Windows 8.1 will I have some problems?
Thank you.

1. do NOT use crossfire for mining as it reduces performance.
2. Please try to set to "Universal PCI-E Slot" to compatible mode if it is not detecting right or is set to Fast, it will disable the X1 slot(it does not say what x1, but this would explain seeing only 3 cards). The manual seems to make no reference to what section, but I am sure you can find it.

Give this a try and see how it goes for you.

yogeshkkw

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
I have very difficult query.
I have ZOTAC 210 DDR3 1GB GRAPHIC CARD.
I am buying Radeon R7 250 which is 1GB DDR5.
My motherboard is SLI and Crossfirex.
Can i join DDR3 with DDR5?
If yes then how would be the performance.
Are there any chances of Hardware problem if they are not compatible?Risky?

If anyone has done this before practically then please email me.

My config-
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
4 GB DDR3 RAM
AOC 1080 2437FH MONITOR
ZOTAC 210 DDR3 1GB GRAPHIC CARD
CREATIVE 5.1 6160 SPEAKER
500 GB Seagate HDD

You can NOT run those cards in SLI or crossfire. They are not even from the same company(AMD/Nvidia) let alone compatible in any way.

You can use both cards if you wanted to run more monitors than a single card will allow for, but that is about it.

Yeah probably.But still,they have to update it.It's been a while

Kaleb Shubert

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014

ok, maybe something will be released in the future that can support more than 4, that actually increases performance rather than have a bad cost/benefit ratio

As it stands, the cards and drivers have a limit of 4-way SLI/CF, and that is only achievable on some of the high end cards. Some are restricted to 2-way or 3-way.

With the way cards work now, latency issues would likely start to be a problem with that many cards, as the time from starting to render and displaying the image does not improve with multiple cards. And as you run into CPU bottlenecks, it increases that latency, though you do get more points of input, the time from starting a frame to being rendered gets worse as you add cards.

Perhaps in a distant future, GPU's will work together differently, and things will change, but current cards do not allow more than 4, and have more issues the more cards you add.

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Actually yes... but it would only be applicable in a card that has DUAL GPU's on it... AMD 7990 for instance

pellax

Reputable
May 11, 2014
my card is Power Color HD 5450 AMD ATI 1gb DDR3 ... it says in the box that it can support CROSSFIRE .. why does when i install CCC the theres no crossfire tab ??

here are my spec

1gb RAM

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU

4300 @ 1.80GHz 1.80GHz

1GB AMD PowerColor HD 5450 DDR3 Graphics Card

That is a single gpu card so you can not run crossfire without another one.

To be honest the card is rather slow and not worth getting a second for crossfire.

You also have to have a crossfire ready board to use this feature.

Again, trying to crossfire entry level cards is not recommended since a single faster card will be better in every way.

Vindaloovians

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

Do they share RAM or use the RAM of just one card?

Both cards will load the exact same data into memory so they can both access the meshes, textures and other resources locally(would not be ideal for the cards to share these resources over the pci-e bus or other interconnects).

For this reason cards do NOT gain memory in SLI/Crossfire.

Jun 30, 2014
I have read that you can crossfire a 280x with a 7950, but can you crossfire a 280 with a 7950? theorically both are the same card, but i haven't seen anyone doing so. anyone knows?

AMD has not made any official data of this type available yet, but so far cards with the same core have been successfully used in crossfire.

I do not think an extra bridge is needed(no performance gain). It does not seem to hurt anything(lots of people do it), but is generally used when you get more than 2 cards.

You can always give it a go, but do not expect to gain performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.