SLI / CrossFire FAQs

Page 44 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2GB

In AFR (alternate frame rendering), each card must render a full frame on their own, and their for need to load all the same stuff in VRAM as any other card in SLI/CF. As a result, you do not gain any benefit in terms of additional VRAM from multiple cards. You effectively are operating as if you have 2 card worth of VRAM, and it will operate as if you had which ever card has the least amount of VRAM.

When SLI and CF were new, there were other methods employed which may have gained some benefits, but did not give you nearly as good of scaling. These methods included splitting the screen in half and having each card only render half a screen. However, these methods are no longer used today.

Wrathinside

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
If SLI\CF pretty much screws up VRAM, then I read that to select another GPU to process PhysX, there is no bridge required. How does it work? Is it considered SLI\CF, or it's something else, but still supported by drivers?
Also - is it possible to use both Nvidia and AMD this way? So that Nvidia would manage PhysX and AMD would do the rest? Or there are no official drivers that could support this?
I understand that SLI\CF sum up the performances, so bridge-less PhysX GPU would not do anything for perforance, except for providing PhysX. I've also seen a vid, where a rather old card doing PhysX for something like 680x even reduced 680x' performance instead of improving it. That essentially means that card added will not make any benefit, if it doesn't do it's job as good as master card?
Also, I think I've heard tha if GPU runs out of VRAM - it takes from RAM, probably virtual memory, not sure. Is it possible to recompense for lack of VRAM by having plenty of RAM?
I just don't see the point in pushing 4gb version of technically 2gb card for future hopes of either multiscreen or super heavy games(which I don't play), but I don't see how can I use a 2gb GPU later, when I buy some newer and, hopefully, more-RAM filled GPU for multiscreen.

sickbullet

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
Tried crossfire for the first time and it was an utter nightmare I bought a second a 7970 same speeds and model, and sold it back on the next day :(

So going to get a 290X when the other branded coolers come.

krayzier1

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

Ty for your reply :)

HogCooter

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
Stupid question but does crossfire improve Frame Rate? I am looking to get another SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 7770 and wonder if it will actually improve gaming. From what I read, the main advantage is a power issue. Will the difference be noticeable? Any comments?

Both Crossfire and SLI are designed to improve performance. This includes frame rates. AMD has been working to get more consistent frame times out of its cards with newer drivers.

So if you go this path, ensure you have the latest drivers.

Sometimes a single faster card is more desirable due to power and space concerns as well as more consistent performance(some games do not scale as well with multiple cards.).

BRANDON DAVIS

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
This is more like my question, and this thread seems to be the right place to ask (I've made it through only the FAQ and the first three pages, so far lol ...but have a pressing need to get an answer, due to the sales this month). If I'm in the wrong place, do please let me know.

New build. Main board is Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (will arrive this week). Also purchased an XFX FX-785A-ZNL4 (HD 7850) ...$119 w/the rebate.

Should I buy a second XFX while they're on sale and CF 'em? IOW, is that going to be a well-spent $238 (i.e., $119x2 cards) for the performance (from what I've read, there does seem to be a performance advantage)? Or not? (I'll have my bro' purchase the 2nd XFX, so I'd get the rebate for the second card too.)

...even with a second 7850, my total build price (w/new everything), is going to be just under $800 (w/ an FX8320, 250+120GB SSD, 630W 80+ bronze, case, and 16GB RAM), so it's certainly a "budget build" as I understand it (be nice: I'm old lol, and haven't DIY'd a system in a decade). I still have an unused W7 license, though I'm not sure if I won't just install Linux, and run W7 as a VM (I do a lot of VM's for support reasons: my "day job").

(I run a minimum of four displays for various, non-gaming reasons with the main display at 1920x1200, and others at lesser res's ...that will be changing this coming year to all 1920x1200 minimum ...still not sure which direction I'm going to go.)

TIA.

...my first question on Tom's ever btw (though I've been reading the forums for ...idk, the past 10 years at least).

If you do not plan to game, You do not even need to get another 7850, you can even get something like a 7770 or 7750 just to run extra screens.

Each card should run 3 screens if one is Display Port. Having 2 should allow 2 analog + 2 digital not including the 2 Display Port options you still have or 4 Digital(HDMI/DVI) without issues.

2 7850's in crossfire should give a decent performance boost, but you will need the latest drivers and AMD is still working out driver issues with multi screen crossfire performance on some cards.

The chart on Tom's in the following link while old, gives you an idea what 2 x 7850's in crossfire will do, but again it is important to know that newer articles have show frame pace issues[high fps reported by games, but jumpy graphics due to partial frames or even frames that do not make it to the monitor] that are being addressed in current and newer drivers. It may still be a while for AMD to get all the bugs worked out(the fixes are underway for sure).
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-geforce-gtx-650-benchmark,3297-14.html

BRANDON DAVIS

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Thank you nukemaster. I will check out that link.

I think this card does support four displays btw ...but I may want to up that to six (or 3-4 with much higher resolution, and perhaps physically larger) displays, so for that reason, it might be justified?

...my productivity usually increases with more and/or better displays (so I can pretty much justify the expense ...plus my current displays are pretty old at this point, and I recall reading something about all the ones of this technological "era" having some kind of burn-out/end-of-life issues sooner than later).

...but I would like to be able to occasionally run a game as far as that goes (the last game I played was probably Quake or something: life has gotten really busy since then, but it's slowing down again, so maybe I can dip my feet back in the pool lol).

So for a $120 "upgrade": worth it?

UPDATE: You already answered the question, lol. Brilliant! Looking at the chart, and comparing a single 7850 with dual 7850's in CF, it seems that - for gaming - CFing with a second 7850 isn't that bad an idea. Thanks!

No you can't and they don't have the same GPU core. You can SLI 690 with a 690 and 770 with another 770

Resetes12

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
If I Crossfire a Sapphire R9 270x Dual-x 4Gb (principal GPU) with a 2Gb version (secondary GPU) I will get 4Gb or 2Gb of VRAM?

Thanks in advance.

Roadsguy

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
You should add something about SLI/Crossfiring between a CPU w/ graphics and a compatible GPU. I hear it's possible to do this.

Also, ATI in the OP should be changed to AMD to minimize confusion as well as making it not look so stale.

Crossfire with cpu graphics is rather unimpressive when a single lower end card may be as fast.

The cart has actually not been updated by AMD yet so that is why it stops at the 7970.

I am sure Maziar may well update this in the future(for sure when AMD adds a new chart, maybe they do not want to tell people that a R9 280X can be combined :) the rebranded cards can be crossfired with the card they have been rebranded from), but they have been rather busy lately.

Pexon011

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Hello ,what should i buy ,at the moment i am using nvidia 560ti and i am thinking of putting one more in sli ,or to buy nvidia 660ti

tnx for help

"Post edited by Maziar,reason: "No advertising here"

TheDoubleD

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Hello. I have a Sapphire 7870 XT and I would like to upgrade by crossfiring it. With what GPU should I crossfire it? I know it can be crossfired with either another 7870 xt or 7950. Up here where I live, they have almost the same price, but should I really crossfire with 7950 when all their stats are different (like gpu clock, memory, memory clock, bit rate)? What would be the side effect of this?

2 560Ti's will be notably faster than 1 660Ti

"One of the cards will raise/lower its clock speeds to reach the other card's speeds."
So I recommend getting the exact same model of the card you have

It seems it's no longer possible
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/hypersli-enabling-sli-on-non-sli-motherboards.153046/

Status
Not open for further replies.