SLI with GTX 560ti

henrytowns

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
Hi,

I own a GTX 560ti. You can see the rest of the specs in my profile. With regards to MOH War fighter, Crysis 3, GTA V(???), Watchdogs and other upcoming games which card is best for me in SLI?

Also I would like to know if you propose i wait or i sell the existing card and buy a single new card.

I also have concerns if the solution will support future games, those listed above and other new games. I think its not much to ask for a solution which works for atleast next 1 year if not 2.

Thank you!

EDIT:

CPU:Core i5 2500K,LGA1155 @4.5 GHz
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3-1066 CL7
HDD: Samsung 1TB SpinPoint
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 OC Ti
Monitor : Asus VE247H at 1920 x 1080
Mobo: P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0
PSU: XFX 750W Core Edition
Case: Coolermaster HAF-922
G35 Headset
G500 Mouse

which vram 560ti is it.

Why I ask is that essentially, you will get the benefits of SLI, but vram is not additive, so if you have a 1gb vram model, sli will limit you to 1 gb vram, so you will have great performance in most games, except for the periods of time wher eyou will run out of vram and the game will probably crash on you.

loresr97

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
It would be a good solution if you could sell the 560 ti and get a 7950 for 300$ which would be a card that will work for years

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
better yet since nobody has even asked...
what's your monitor and resolution.?
also if that's your complete specs in your configuration page then I suggest you also upgrade your RAM and possibly add SSD in NEAR future.

henrytowns

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

VRam is 1 GB.

Nice card but do you think it is going to stand firm as it has less pixel fill rate and texture fill rate and i think in future it may become more subtle despite the monstrous memory bandwidth it has.

Yes thats my system : also added to the original post.
Monitor : Asus VE247H at 1920 x 1080
Will SSD do me any good once the game has loaded on to the RAM? Also last time i checked SSDs were quite expensive. I will need 1 TB for installed games.
What upgrades you suggest to RAM? I built this system in April 2011 from this very site and i thought it could last a bit longer. I feel the computer is strong enough but on the very highest settings in games like Battlefield 3, Crysis 2 it slows down and thats because of the GPU.

I understand upgrading will be required later for new games.

What games would that be then? I can't say that I have ever had a game crash because it ran out of Vram.

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
nice monitor I have a similar ASUS model, 23in.

game loaded onto RAM as in RAMDisk.?

SSD's are not that expensive anymore, to bad you do not have a Z board with Intel SRT function...
if not adding SSD then maybe something like the Crucial Adrenaline (SSC) cache set-up to go along with your existing OS install on HDD.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148564
that will speed things up or something like it because to me this is a little expensive.

I like DDR3 1600MHz 1.5v either CL8 or CL9, with CL8 of course faster and my personal choice is Mushkin..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226295
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226191

even though I do not now but I ran a GTX 560 Ti 1GB version on 1080p and not in SLi,
I do not remember having any problems.
higher than 1080p then I can definitely see that.

henrytowns

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

I dont know if 1600mHz ram is any use to my pc as the processor doesnt support it i think.
and even if i get a ram what about the graphics card? i dont need another now?
i said it doesnt work good on bf3 and crysis 3 having every setting on ultra. some settings have to be high only. and batman arkham city stutters if i turn on tessellation.

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
it's not about your processor supporting it, it's more the motherboard you have running it..

is it too much to ask if you can sell your 560 Ti and then upgrade to a GTX 6 series or HD 7 series card.?
how much is another 560 Ti for you to SLi.?
but the 1GB of VRAM might hurt you in very intensive games even @ 1080p but 1080p is about 1GB's limit.

as stated though SSD, RAM and GPU upgrade will hold your system for a few years of gaming without issues,
more a GPU upgrade (more VRAM to be safe) to stronger single GPU then in SLi.

henrytowns

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

Another GTX560 ti is around 230 euros.
I think i can sell my gpu and get a single new card, but which card will that be?

henrytowns

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

Depends on what i am getting. If the new solution will work only for a year then i am not willing to spend more than 200Euros. If 2 years then 300euros.

LordTsar

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
My advice, sell the 560TI and get a newer card, a single card solution will be better than SLI simply because it will cut out the micro stutter.

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
the micro-stutter argument I doubt comes into play here with a strong enough CPU.
that's what micro-stutter is about, over-powering GPU's and not enough CPU strength.
and also he's on a single monitor, micro-stuttering is more a triple monitor issue as well.

yes, single card solutions are simpler and sometimes better but the micro-stuttering point, is not one....
his current overclock with fresh clean install of drivers on his current power supply,
if wanted SLi then he can do it with ease.

micro stutter? i havent heard about that for a while now.....
sounds like someone has been browsing forums and picking up on mis-diagnosed problems and wants to play pc tech....
get a stronger single card solution, as not all games support sli as well as others, and you will be down to one card during those games.

henrytowns

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

So thats what i need to know. Which card will be safer to buy now? I think i am pretty convinced of a single card solution. Refer to the original post and advise. Thanks!

henrytowns

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

Depends on what i am getting. If the new solution will work only for a year then i am not willing to spend more than 200Euros. If 2 years then 300euros.

HD7950 is 321Euros here and GTX 670 421 euros. So 7950 suits me.

1. What concerns me is that i am changing my card after 1.5 years because new games came out with high requirements. So going back to my original question: will this new solution (7950) stand against upcoming new titles (Watchdogs, GTA V, Crysis 3, Unreal Engine 3 ???) ? Or i will be replacing it after a year too?

2. Seeing below confuses me every time that what is the ultimate parameter to judge a gpu's power? 7950 has more mem bandwidth but less clock speeds and less texture fill rate.

11ih34w.png

If you are always wanting top notch performance then you will be upgrading every year. Nobody can predict how games will play when they come out if they have yet to be released. The 7950 or 670 are very fast and will last a long time but there may be a game or two that you may have to lower settings on, especially crysis 3 according to their development team. So if you want a fool proof plan of performance, then either increase your budget, or buy the 7950, which is a very fast card(olhalf a step down from their fastest single gpu ) and if you need to, lower a few settings such as draw distances and AA and such
For te moment you should be able to Max any game with the 7950 or 670

henrytowns

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

Ok, thanks for taking the time to reply. You are right, to max out games one needs to be up to date. I think I will go for 7950. Thanks!