[SOLVED] Slightly damaged pins on mobo/audio crackling

Eplex

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
It appears I've damaged some pins when I reseated my CPU here after having some issues with it, though it's almost negligent and I'm having none issues thus far, besides audio crackling (?) for some reason...

After the initial reseating the PC did boot, it took a while and it was stuck on the splash screen for some time, but eventually booted up.

I didn't notice any problems right of the bat, except that my second screen started to to flicker a bit, reconnecting the DP and it was like nothing happened before.

Now though, my headset have this horrible crackling sound and I can't think of anything else that can have caused this. Is it possible that it can cause this problem?

I've tested the headset on my laptop, no issues. Just finished formating Windows now and the issue persists.

Solution
Do you have a discrete GPU connected to the monitor? Then the monitor audio is generated via GPUs audio processor that may get you clean audio.

Audio components are fixed on the motherboard. And the bent pins can make this.

If you change your motherboard, it should definitely resolve your problem with the audio.
Bent pins may or may not cause problems, depending on the function they control.
Normally, ram issues such as no dual channel or dead slots are common.

Certainly, your audio issues may be caused by the bent pins.
There may be other issues you have yet to uncover.

I would carefully take the chip off and attempt to straighten the wins with a needle.
A helpful jeweler could do it.

Eplex

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
Bent pins may or may not cause problems, depending on the function they control.
Normally, ram issues such as no dual channel or dead slots are common.

Certainly, your audio issues may be caused by the bent pins.
There may be other issues you have yet to uncover.

I would carefully take the chip off and attempt to straighten the wins with a needle.
A helpful jeweler could do it.

Thanks for your reply.

I just don't see what else could have caused this while I was fiddling inside of the case.. Strangely enough though, my monitor speaker sounds fine without any crackling?

Any suggestions what else could be the culprit?

Eplex

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
Is there anything I can do to confirm that the problem lies in the motherboard? Anything I can specifically look for to determine this?

I'm not an expert when it comes to hardware, but I'm fairly tech savvy and can work my way around it.

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
Do you have a discrete GPU connected to the monitor? Then the monitor audio is generated via GPUs audio processor that may get you clean audio.

If you change your motherboard, it should definitely resolve your problem with the audio.

Solution

Eplex

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012

Yes I do. Thanks for clearing that up, makes sense now that I think about it.

I getting a new board and CPU today, going team red this time. Certainly would fix the problem.

Just wanted to hear if you could narrow it down to some other components or issues that could be inspected, as from what I've gathered, if there's issues with the pins, usually you won't get to boot.

Thanks a lot though :)