[SOLVED] Slow Desktop WiFi on 5ghz - Phone on same network 10x Faster. Why?

Jul 29, 2020
I use a wifi dongle on my desktop (tp-link) which is 5ghz. For some reason I'm only pulling down 10mbps, topping out at 20 mbps. Router and windows list the connection speed to be 200mbps+, but I only pay for 100mbps.

My Pixel 4 is on the same network and is pulling the max 110mbps I pay for.

No signal issue, full bars.

Dongle is roughly 5 years old, but no issues with it in the past. usually no issue getting 130mbps in Steam dl (blessed Gabe)

Solution
I use a wifi dongle on my desktop (tp-link) which is 5ghz. For some reason I'm only pulling down 10mbps, topping out at 20 mbps. Router and windows list the connection speed to be 200mbps+, but I only pay for 100mbps.

Dongle is roughly 5 years old, but no issues with it in the past. usually no issue getting 130mbps in Steam dl (blessed Gabe)
Any chance that the dongle is 5GHz N, while the phone is 5GHz AC? There is a big speed difference between the two. Take a look at the specific dongle model specs to know for sure.

RealBeast

Titan

Any chance that the dongle is 5GHz N, while the phone is 5GHz AC? There is a big speed difference between the two. Take a look at the specific dongle model specs to know for sure.

Solution
Jul 29, 2020
I did not know that there was a major speed difference! big thanks!
only thing is that its a recent issue? as in past few days. I thought at first Virgin Media were just being slow but if I can pull the speeds on my phone and I have had them in the past on my pc, I just cant figure out why suddenly there is an issue :(
I've ordered a replacement dongle (proper one this time, not just small usb, but antenna and all) though would still be good to figure out the issue