May 31, 2022
can someone help me with my internet problem? so... I am currently using laptop and my internet connection is through my phone. using mobile hotspot. i tried to update some apps but the downloading speed only averages 150 kbps, i tried to test my internet connection in ookla. it showed there that my downloading speed is 50mbps. btw i m not using a data plan.

May 31, 2022
Oop misread update to upload.
updating what app? from where? could be they have issue
i m updating a game.(genshin impact) and i tried to download something on my phone or even tried to download something in my laptop but all of it only runs at 150 kbps.
it s already 3? days that i m experiencing this.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Do you mean that you're running everything through a mobile hotspot provided by your phone provider or you're running everything through a mobile hotspot created by your phone itself? Because if the latter, it would be shocking if performance wasn't absolutely atrocious.

Generally, it's helpful to be as specific about things as possible.

So speedtest running on the phone shows 50mbps and when you run speedtest on your PC using the phone hotspot you also show 50mbps on speedtest.

Speedtest is actually a file download and then upload but the data is not kept. Although they use some fancy stuff to test very high speed connection it really should not be different than say download a game off steam that also uses the same tricks.

What you first need to be aware of speedtest is MBITS and most download sites are MBYTES. This means you should see numbers of about 6MBYTE download rates from a site like steam. This is still far above what you are seeing.

The key problem is going to be to try to find out what is different between the file download speedtest is doing and the one you are having issues with. You really should try a few other places to download stuff and see what you get for speeds. There could be some issue with just that one site.
Microsoft web site tends to be a good place to test downloads. They seem to have more bandwidth and data centers than pretty much anyone else.