Question Slow download speeds only on certain applications.

Feb 19, 2022
I'm at my wits end, i don't want to format my system but it seems like i might have to as a last resort. Let me explain.

Right so basically my internet speed 350mb download which translates to about 35mb/s on steam if i'm downloading a game. My download speeds on steam are correct and it usually goes to around 40mb/s in some cases, everythings fine and dandy.

Now here's the problem, if i open Rockstar game launcher or Epic games launcher and try and download anything from there, i get below 800kb/s. Not even 1mb/s, now you might be thinking well maybe it's just their servers. No, it's not because if i got to my second computer and try and download anything the speeds are fine. Also if i connect to the Wifi using the computer with the problem my download speeds immediately pick up and are above 20mb/s on epic launcher and Rockstar launcher.

Now here's what's even weirder, if i start my download on epic launcher and it's around 750kb/s and doesn't go any higher if i open steam and start a download my steam download speed will immediately go to around 35mb/s and my download speed on epic games launcher will magically start to go higher and higher, almost as if epic games launcher or rockstar launcher don't have enough priority to start downloading at max speeds.

I thought maybe it's my cable, i can confirm it's not my cable, i've tried multiple and i've tried the same cable on another computer and the problem doesn't persist.
I also thought maybe it was my firewall so i deleted norton anti virus completely, i can confirm it isn't my anti virus.

I've uninstalled LAN drivers and let windows automatically install them, i've also manually installed them myself and the problem is still here.

My mother board is the z590 maximus xiii hero, i really don't want to format my computer just to find out that the problem still exists. Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be?

Asus has a bad habit of bundling bloatware with their motherboard.

They have all kinds of issue with their stupid "gamer" networks software. This software has no purpose unless you do stupid stuff like download files while you play games.

It and other similar software has a history of causing all kinds of strange issues. I would uninstall it.

You could also disable IPv6 support in your nic to see if that makes any difference maybe epic is using IPv6 and steam is using IPv4

Feb 19, 2022
Asus has a bad habit of bundling bloatware with their motherboard.

They have all kinds of issue with their stupid "gamer" networks software. This software has no purpose unless you do stupid stuff like download files while you play games.

It and other similar software has a history of causing all kinds of strange issues. I would uninstall it.

You could also disable IPv6 support in your nic to see if that makes any difference maybe epic is using IPv6 and steam is using IPv4

Tried disabling Ipv6 it didn't change anything, and i got rid of all the bloatware a while ago. whats weird is i didnt use my computer for about a month and before then it was fine, i changed my GPU and PSU and that was all. Since then i have the recurring problem.

Last night, i disabled and reinstalled my drivers again and it worked.. until today and now it's doing it again.
I've reset my internet settings and drivers completely back to default, tried different cable, it's not the servers because on wifi and another computer it works fine. Looks like im just going to have to hope that a format fixes whatever it is.

Feb 19, 2022
Well, couldn't figure out what it was.

Ended up formatting and installing windows 11 and now it works how it should. I'm pretty sure that windows 10 would have been fine with a fresh install too but it's fixed anyway.