[SOLVED] Slow network speed on one computer ?

Jul 12, 2024
I recently tried a speedtest on my main PC and found out that I was getting 30Mb/s instead of the 300 Mb/s
that I should be getting from my ISP. I tested both my ethernet and wifi, and they're comparable. I don't know when this started.

The ethernet and wifi adapter are separate BTW. I built this PC with a Z170 Krait Gaming Motherboard and then added a wifi adapter using a PCIe slot.

I tried the same cable and ethernet port on a different laptop and it got 190 Mb/s. WiFi was around 100 Mb/s in the same area. I tested my >12 year old laptop with the same setup and even it got 300 Mb/s!! My phone and iPad get 200-300 Mb/s in the same area, but they are newer.

I tried reinstalling the drivers with no change. I checked for updates and there aren't any. Running my PC in safe mode doesn't make any difference.

I tried these commands with no change:
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset

I'm running out of things to check to figure out why it's so slow and going crazy!!! I don't think it's a hardware issue since my wifi and ethernet are both slow, and use different hardware, so I think it's a software issue somewhere, unless there's a basic motherboard issue, but I don't know what the software issue could be.

Any ideas?

Ethernet adapter: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-V

Wifi adapter: Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter

kanewolf

Titan
I recently tried a speedtest on my main PC and found out that I was getting 30Mb/s instead of the 300 Mb/s
that I should be getting from my ISP. I tested both my ethernet and wifi, and they're comparable. I don't know when this started.

The ethernet and wifi adapter are separate BTW. I built this PC with a Z170 Krait Gaming Motherboard and then added a wifi adapter using a PCIe slot.

I tried the same cable and ethernet port on a different laptop and it got 190 Mb/s. WiFi was around 100 Mb/s in the same area. I tested my >12 year old laptop with the same setup and even it got 300 Mb/s!! My phone and iPad get 200-300 Mb/s in the same area, but they are newer.

I tried reinstalling the drivers with no change. I checked for updates and there aren't any. Running my PC in safe mode doesn't make any difference.

I tried these commands with no change:
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset

I'm running out of things to check to figure out why it's so slow and going crazy!!! I don't think it's a hardware issue since my wifi and ethernet are both slow, and use different hardware, so I think it's a software issue somewhere, unless there's a basic motherboard issue, but I don't know what the software issue could be.

Any ideas?

Ethernet adapter: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-V

Wifi adapter: Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter
Provide a link to the specific WIFI adapter. Many WIFI adapters have the antennas blocked by the PC case so the performance is poor.

Jul 12, 2024
i have no idea what a network "optimizer" software is, so i think i'm good.

i wish i knew what my wifi adapter is. i unfortunately don't have the order confirmation email anymore and there's no label. i only know it's by asus.

Jul 12, 2024
google search. there was another thread about a similar issue where that program fixed the discrepancy.

no issues with malware! checked the file on virustotal and scanned my computer with defender, avg, malwarebytes. no issues!