Slow System Startup

Zombie21

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
I recently installed a new Samsung 850 EVO M.2 250GB SSD, an i7 7700K and 16GB of DDR4 Ram at 2300mhz upon installing windows 10 I'm greeted to Post times that exceed 20 seconds followed by a 25 second OS boot.

Below is a picture of what my Boot configuration i the BIOS looks like:
https://imgur.com/a/78lLf

I contacted Samsung and they told me the following:
"unfortunately the booting time is not directly linked to the SSD. ((really?))
Please:
1) check if all the options in the BIOS are maximized for a faster boot.
2) please check with the antivirus if the PC doesn't have any malware that can slow down the boot
3) Clean out useless programs that launch at startup"

they then wanted me to send the drive to their Lab and have it tested which would take 10 working days and i cannot afford to have my PC out of action for that long.

This is strange. I'm rocking a 6700K and Samsung 750 EVO, and I can get to login at 7 seconds, and about 1 second after I login, so speeds do help.

However, when you put in that SSD, did you already have Windows on a hard drive? Or is this a fresh install? How about when you load up safe mode?

As far as "20 seconds in POST" is it stuck on the BIOS screen?

Honestly, I would reset your BIOS to default settings and test that out. We want some type of base line.

Zombie21

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

I originally had windows on a Sandisk SSD but i wanted to clear up some cables so an M.2 SSD seemed ideal. Its a fresh install so i also thought there would be no issues.

It gets stuck on the "Press f2 or del to enter setup screen for far longer than the set 2 seconds.

Zombie21

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

Its an ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 1

So the Bios is now reset to factory settings but its still taking about 20 seconds to post and 29 seconds to boot into the OS

rucanunes

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

Did you solve this problem? If so, how?