[SOLVED] Slow transfer speeds between hard drives

Apr 24, 2020
Ok, so I have two drives:
  1. Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500 GB - SATA 600 - 6.0Gbps my primary drive
  2. ST8000AS0002-1NA1Z 8TB - SATA 600 - 6.0Gbps -my storage drive
I have experienced a sort of anomaly when transferring, mostly large, a first few seconds the speed is around 1.gb/s and then it drops to a single 5-10 mb/s/ And I can not figure out why.
Below are the highlights of my system:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
MB: AX370-Gaming K5-CF
Memory Type DDR4
Memory Size 16 GBytes
Channels Dual
Memory Frequency 1199.3 MHz (1:12)

Ill attach full CPU-Z report as well as te ATTO benchmarks for both drives a bit later. Can someone make sense of my issue?

Thank you very much in advance.

Solution
Do you mean MB or Mb (I assume MB/s)?

The initial high speed is due to the DRAM cache on the HDD, then it slows down. Yours slows a lot more than you are probably used to because it is an SMR drive (such a drive is really for long term archives because the shingled layout slows writes significantly). I didn't think that writes were quite that bad, but I knew that they were well below PMR drives.

From the Seagate product sheet for that drive:
Best-Fit Applications
• Cost-effective online archiving
• Object storage
• Big Data cold storage
• Cloud active archive
• Web-scale archiving

RealBeast

Titan
Do you mean MB or Mb (I assume MB/s)?

The initial high speed is due to the DRAM cache on the HDD, then it slows down. Yours slows a lot more than you are probably used to because it is an SMR drive (such a drive is really for long term archives because the shingled layout slows writes significantly). I didn't think that writes were quite that bad, but I knew that they were well below PMR drives.

From the Seagate product sheet for that drive:
Best-Fit Applications
• Cost-effective online archiving
• Object storage
• Big Data cold storage
• Cloud active archive
• Web-scale archiving

Solution